Did Jeopardy Screw Up? 9/15

Not at all (at least not from my standpoint). The reading was educational. It does however seem to be a pretty nascent genre designation which might be why I’ve never heard of it.

I’m normally not a big fan of genre definitions since a good book should be read as a good book without preconception (and I wouldn’t want Exapno Mapcase coming down on me), but the line between fiction and non-fiction serves a useful purpose and since I personally still class “creative nonfiction” books as fiction the name is a bit of an oxymoron IMHO.

(Note: the below doesn’t necessarily describe you particularly, especially the first-timer bits.)

That’s because they regularly get a ton of posters who register just to come in heart all a-flutter to report errors. A good 80-90% of the time, one of the two following things (or both!) are true:

a) It’s been noticed and mentioned a dozen times already;
b) It’s the poster who’s wrong, and the question that’s right.

I suppose some mods have just gotten trigger happy on first-timers (or those with otherwise low post counts) whose first (or near first) actions are to “report errors.”

Hmm, I was a first-timer at the discussion forum. And I did not check to see if the issue had been addressed, because I posted on the day of first broadcast.

But I was also right. :slight_smile:

What was the question and what year was it?

God, I love the Jeopardy Archive. Here is a list of every Final Jeopardy clue about or that mentions Gone With the Wind.

Final Jeopardy! Round clues

#5556, aired 2008-11-03
PULITZER-WINNING NOVELS: From this book’s penultimate paragraph: “There had never been a man she couldn’t get, once she set her mind upon him”

#5211, aired 2007-04-16
BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS: Following “Gone with the Wind”, it would be another 12 years before a color film won again: this foreign-set musical

#4932, aired 2006-02-07
20th CENTURY BOOKS: In a classic book, this title phrase precedes the words “which had swept through Georgia”

#4639, aired 2004-11-05
LITERATURE: In early drafts, the heroine of this novel was named Pansy & her family home was called Fontenoy Hall

#4611, aired 2004-09-27
PULITZER PRIZE WINNERS: 1 of the 2 novels, both Southern, that won the Pulitzer for fiction & became Best Picture Oscar winners

#3932, aired 2001-10-09
WOMEN AUTHORS: In 1935 she sent a telegram to a Macmillan editor: “Please send manuscript back I’ve changed my mind”

#3689, aired 2000-09-21
LITERARY TREES: In a famous novel this type of tree grows beneath a bedroom window at Tara

#1193, aired 1989-11-08
THE OSCARS: Only Pulitzer Prize-winning novels to become Oscar-winning “Best Pictures” are “All The King’s Men” & this one

This is why the internet exists!

I can’t remember the year (2000–2006), but the Final Jeopardy clue was something like, “This 1939 movie was fined $5,000 by the Production Code Administration for using the word ‘damn’”. The winning question, as I predicted it would be, was “What was Gone With the Wind?”

However, that is false. To quote Wikipedia:

Sources:
• Leonard J. Leff and Jerold L. Simmons, The Dame in the Kimono: Hollywood, Censorship, and the Production Code, pp. 107–108.
• David O. Selznick, Memo from David O. Selznick, Modern Library, 2000, p. 246n

BTW, the Jeopardy Archive is patchy; it does not claim to be complete, but transcribes only those episodes to which it has a copy.

The archive is pretty complete from 1997-present. They are missing 150 episodes from 2003-2004 for some reason, but that’s about it. Anyway, I found your Final Jeopardy based on your memory. The reason I didn’t find it before is because the words “Gone With the Wind” never actually appear in the clue or answer.

Show #5103 - November 15, 2006 - 2006 Celebrity Jeopardy! game 6.
From Radio City Music Hall in New York City.
Contestants: Harry Smith, a broadcast journalist from The Early Show
Miguel Ferrer, an actor from Crossing Jordan
Steve Schirripa, an actor from The Sopranos

Final Jeopardy! - MOVIE HISTORY
Producer David Selznick was fined $5,000 by censors for using this word in a 1939 film

Funnily enough, Bobby Baccalieri answered “sex sex.” That sounds about right.