Did Romney go to the NAACP hoping to get booed

Yes, I meant stopped as in halted. I could have been clearer, like this:

The whole of Romney’s message was that Obamacare will destroy jobs, and by getting rid of it, he will save those jobs, which is good for everyone including blacks. That’s what he intended to say, but he was only able to get the first part out before he was stopped by the booing. Without being able to finish making his point before the booing started, it only looked like he was being a dufus of some kind, not that he actually was (in this instance, anyway;)).

Blacks voted for Gore and Kerry overwhelming, with 95 and 93 percent respectively.

I’m sure they’re still racist though, as that could be the only reason why they wouldn’t vote for the party that represents the South.

Yeah, just like chicanos are racist for not supporting candidates who represent the Anglicization of the Southwest, and Irish Catholics are racist for not supporting Orangemen. That kind of racist.

In the 2000 presidential election Gore received 90% of the black vote.

In the 2004 presidential election Kerry received 88% of the black vote.

In the 2008 presidential election Obama received 95% of the black vote.

Based on those numbers, it would appear that only 5% to 7% of black voters are racist and strident claims that “blacks are racist” are little more than displays of silly posturing.

I took one for the team and watched “The Five” on Fox yesterday to see how they treated Romney’s address to the NAACP. They went on and on about how “brave” and “courageous” he was.

Brave and courageous for what, I’m not sure. For appearing?

Then Romney went to a Montana fundraiser that same evening of the NAACP speech and said “But I hope people understand this, your friends who like Obamacare, you remind them of this, if they want more stuff from government tell them to go vote for the other guy-more free stuff.”

I wonder why he didn’t say that at the NAACP speech? Now, that would have been brave!

Going back further I think the black vote went as low as about 83% Democratic in the Reagan era. It struck me that, consistently over several decades, blacks have voted very strongly for the Democrats. In several elections blacks even voted more Democratic than registered Democratic party members (if that makes any sense)!?

Now what I could not tell from the stats from that source is the raw numbers. I expect that Obama also benefitted from a bump in voter turn out from the black community. So I am not sure that you could simply subtract and come up with a 5%-7% number in any case.

I am sure some blacks voted for Obama simply because he is seen as black. I am equally sure that some white voters voted against Obama simply because he is seen as black. Biracial status be damned. I just think the color of a candidate’s skin is a piss poor reason to vote for or against him.

If he was trying to reach out, why did he deliver this line:

Well, Mitt, what’s stopping you? Why can’t you communicate what’s in the real, enduring best interest of African-American families? They came to hear just that. Could it be that you really weren’t looking to solicit their votes? I doubt that he was, since Romney repeatedly endorses laws aimed at suppressing the black vote. Has he changed much since his college days, when he lamented other schools boycotting BYU athletics due to the racial discrimination policies of his church? You’d never know it from his speech. Instead, he appeared as the condescending but kindly white master, reminding the uppity ones how grateful they should be for his genteel nature.

Later, when talking to a friendlier, whiter crowd, he said that if you want “free stuff”, vote for Obama. That’s the real Mitt.

I believe he got just what he wanted when he got booed. He’s so brave.

It turns out he wasn’t quite so brave as advertised. He brought in his own blacks to the NAACP meeting. So that’s where the polite applause came from. That’s who stood and applauded at the end of his speech. The only question is did he bring the field negroes or the house negroes?

But the thing is, people vote for the guy who is “like me” all the time, whether it’s race, religion, gender, or simply state of residency. Think of how many people voted for Arnold in the CA governor election just because he was a famous movie star.

But I’m sure magellan will be back shortly to straighten us all out…

I predicted how it would go, and believed all along (and still do) something like the above.

“We need to replace Obamacare with something better”. What, Romney? I’d really like to know. I don’t think “obamacare” (and god do I hate calling it that; it’s not just his creation) is the greatest thing in the world, but I haven’t really heard anything out of your trap.

Oh yeah, and booing too.

I think y’all are over thinking this. Meant to get booed? I’m not seeing it that way. He’s just used to a stupider crowd, who’ve already drunk the Koolaid, and lap up any nonsensical thing that he spews.

I agree with the assessment he has no chance in November.

they are famous Austrian-American bodybuilders too? (There, fixed. At least as corresponds to the “like me” idea) :wink:

(OK… don’t hate me for screwing with your quote for fun.)

I do tend to think that a lot of people, be they white or black, tend to go with some very superficial observations to determine who is “like me.”

In politics, “like me” should refer (ideally) to having ideas and supporting positions like me… not having skin skin color like me.

You guys suffer from the illusion that very many people pay as much attention to this sort of stuff as we do here.

I’m sure the other side directly pandering to racists has absolutely nothing to do with blacks voting en masse for ALL democrat candidates, not just the black one.

I’m 100% with Romney on that, we need something better like UHC.

You said they were racist because they booed Romney, but they didn’t boo McCain. Explain why the booing shows the NAACP is racist.

Well, whites in Alabama voted for McCain at 88%. Are they racist? It was 88% in Mississippi too. White men were at 90%. 80% of Mormons voted for McCain - any guess what the rate will be this year?

Or is the dividing line between racist and not-racist between 88% and 95%. I suppose that’s possible, but seems rather convenient.