Did Soldiers Fruitelssy Fire Machine Guns & Small Arms at Tanks?

Oh, have I got an answer for the OP. US Army Training Film circa 1943. It completely answers your question and bonus, it’s also a treasure trove of 40s slang. I rewatch this occasionally just for the language entertainment value.

[quote=“Dains, post:21, topic:808702”]

Oh, have I got an answer for the OP. US Army Training Film circa 1943. It completely answers your question and bonus, it’s also a treasure trove of 40s slang. I rewatch this occasionally just for the language entertainment value.

[/QUOTE]

Many of the film’s comments say tanks would stop and turn on top of foxholes to collapse them with the infantry inside. Is this really true, though? Stopping and turning in place in the middle of a field of enemy infantry seems like it would make you an easy target for the AT grenades and petrol bombs described in the same film.

Unless it’s the film Fury they will have a company of other troops around them.

[/QUOTE]

That is a great video!

Man that is some weird tank they have, I dont think it is real. Maybe a M2 Medium var?

I posted that to a tank page I’m on and the consensus is it’s a M3 mocked up to look like a German tank.

Look at the M2. Looks more like it. And since they wouldnt send M2s overseas, that could be a use for them.

I agree, rear hull shape is of an M3 Medium not the fairly rare M2 Medium. With sponson mounted 75mm gun removed.

The film said 1943. They stopped making and using M3s by then and I know many never made it overseas.

I put it on a page where if you put a picture of a 50 year old one off prototype it will be identified within 15 minutes. It includes curators and restorers at the Armor museum.

[/QUOTE]

My model club had a copy of this film that we used to watch on occasion for the entertainment value. The “German” tank is an M3 - you can see the top of the turret in several shots, as well as other distinctive features. Interestingly, amongst the many German propaganda shots of pre-war manuevers and early war fighting is a brief shot of a British Vickers Medium Tank.

What happens when a slug ends up inside the tank’s barrel? Does the next tank round just treat it as slightly thick air?