Did "South Pacific" make Michener?

Truman Capote on Jack Kerouac: “That’s not writing, that’s typing.”

Did you think your uncle actually stole your nose, too?

What the fuck are you talking about?

I think he’s implying that you’re ignorant and should have known that somebody else said it first.

Funny, because it sounded like he’s saying that I’m as gullible as a 4-year-old because I didn’t immediately know the correct source of a literary quote. I figured it was possible that he was swiping someone else’s bit for a quick laugh, but forgive me for not scouring the internet first.

I tend to really enjoy EM’s contributions to Cafe Society, which is probably why I was a little taken snack by such a dickish question.

Well, not everything he writes is of good quality.

Same for Michener, I guess.

Please insert smilie of your choice above, since it wasn’t obvious that I was joking.

I’ve noticed that there’s been a trend away from using smilies, presumably because every remark is now assumed to be snark and shouldn’t be taken seriously without an actual death threat involved. Maybe it’s still too early to do without them, though. Feelings are still feelings.

I liked the fact that Michener replied to two personal short notes I wrote to him, questions about two of his books.

I didn’t like The Source the first time I read it, when I was a teenager without as much education in world and/or religious history. Later I read it again and liked it immensely, to the point where it’s now my second favorite work of his.

Nothing more than, really.

It’s all good. Sorry for being too sensitive.

I’ve found Michener to be hit or miss. For example, Hawaii, which I read at the time I was moving to that state, was great, but Mexico I found to be a mix of silly (the “present day” chapters) mixed with just okay (the “turn of the century” chapters.) Enjoyed The Source too, but Mexico was cheesy enough that I backed off from Michener after that.

Any truth to the rumor that Michener and John Barth were neighbors?

Tales of the South Pacific was a fine way for Michener to start his writing career. Even before the musical & the movie–it won a Pulitzer.

But, as Exapno Mapcase pointed out, the weighty historical epics that came later really “made” his great success. He did considerable research (with help from a team in later years), then crafted multi-generational stories that taught some history–not omitting lashings of sex & violence. (Well, sex & violence have been around for a long time.) I plowed through several in my youth & enjoyed them–although I usually didn’t read them repeatedly.

I do love Iberia, his personal account of lifelong travels in Spain…

I personally can’t stand Uris; but consider that the other two “have their moments” – some good, some less so. Have to feel, though, that a mixture of the three at their worst, would be the ultimate nightmare in the fiction line.

I remember one of the sign gags on The Simpsons was a banner at a book fair that read something like, “Michener 99¢/lb.”

I liked Chesapeake and Texas well enough, but couldn’t get into Mexico, and I haven’t gone back to that well since.

Centennial’s his best, IMHO.

“Me sigh-ox! Me sigh-ox!” (I’m Sioux)

To each his own, of course. I was absolutely riveted by Mila 18, which led me to binge read everything Uris wrote.

Surely, to each his own. That’s the beauty of the fiction scene – we (dis)like what we do, and nobody is objectively right or wrong.

I’d forgotten that bit from Centennial. Interestingly, George MacDonald Fraser in Flashman and the Redskins has a character totally unfamiliar with the American West, coming out with that extreme mispronunciation of “Sioux”. A bit of wondering is prompted, as to whether Fraser pinched for his 1982 novel, this item from Michener’s 1974 one – or whether he thought it up himself, independently. Given Fraser’s extremely fertile imagination, my bet would be for the latter.