Did this Wheel of Fortune lady get hosed or not?

Ha! I’m glad I clicked on that link, because it takes me to this hilarious YouTube clip of some guy not correctly enunciating a word, then they go on to play it over and over in slow motion. Awesome.

The contestant in the clip clearly answering “…smoke” when the word is “smoked” definitely got a pass. And that happened on the show right after the “swimmin’” call? Hosed for sure.

Yeah, there’s no question in that one the there’s no “d” in it. That one is clear to me. If he got credit for that, the “swimming” woman should, too, as I’m not convinced she didn’t say “ng” at the end there.

Pointless pedanticism that’s not even wrong because a true [g] sound would be just as wrong, if not more so. Wheel of Fortune is too imbecilic to be require this level of specificity, especially when it’s not linguistically accurate.

Yep, yep, yep!!

They reveal the apostrohe in contractions before the first letter is guessed, so if the judges were looking for swimmin’, there would have been a revealed apostrophe. Since they were looking for swimming, she was wrong. The accent excuse is a lame attempt to justify her mistake. Sucks for her, sure, but pronounce the G next time.

Do people not read this thread. There is no pronounced “g” in “swimming”! There is an “ng,” which is a single consonant sound. It’s not the same as an “n,” but neither is it an “n” followed by a “g.”

I’m thinkin’ she got a screwin’

Clearly another example of the commie-lefties in Hollywood hating on the military. :stuck_out_tongue:

To me it sounded like a hard “n” and not an “ng”. The next lady barely pronounces the “ng” but it’s there.

Then pronounce the ng sound instead of n and add a question mark to inquiries if one wishes to nitpick.

I personally do think she pronounced an “ng” there, albeit softly, and I’m not the only one in this thread that thinks so. If it requires that level of audio forensics to decide whether it’s an “n” or “ng,” give her the benefit of a doubt. I’m not being deliberately contrarian. I think she says “ng.” Some people apparently think there’s supposed to be a clearly enunciated “g” there. There isn’t.

And apologies for missing the question mark or any other typos I may have. I’m typing from a phone and missed it.

I hear no ng. If the phrases were “gin and tonic” would you accept gin ‘n’ tonic?

I seem to remember another instance, in a Gone with the Wind themed puzzle where the answer was Tara or O’Hara. The contestant pronounced the syllable as “Are,” rather than “Air,” and was dinged for it. I think I was a teenager then, and thought it was asinine. It’s not like she didn’t know what it meant.

She did, as far as I’m concerned and one does not.

I probably would, yes, since it’s pretty difficult to hear where the “d” ends and the “t” begins, and would also give the contestant the benefit of a doubt, unless there are full stops between the words, which is not the way people normally talk. It doesn’t really matter, as to my ears I do hear “ng,” but reasonable people can disagree on what they hear. In ambiguous cases, I think the benefit of a doubt should be given.

I would because I’m not a goddamn consonant martinet like Wheel of Fortune.

Worst post-user name combination? :wink:

Who gives a shit? This isn’t about weather or the not the rules were followed correctly; it’s about what’s right in this circumstance. She was fucked over.

As Bob Crandall used to say (former president/ceo of American Airlines): "Rules are to guide, not constrain.

In this case, the G was already guessed and displayed, you can’t make the argument that she said “swimminn” because she didn’t think there was a G there.

Yeah, but the argument is that it has to be pronounced “correctly.” See the “buttinsky” example linked to before, or the “Tara or O’Hara” example which is not linked to, but recalled (so may not be a 100% reliable account, but I’ll accept it as given.)

That said, that’s not my argument for why it should be accepted anyway.

There was that old SNL Weekend Update item about Bill Cosby, Beverly Sills, Johnny Cash, and Connie Chung putting together a group and asking for suggestions for a name. Viewers were asked to send their suggestions in care of Cosby, Sills, Cash, and Chung.