Did you draw with a Spirograph? Would kids today play with one?

I looooved my spirograph.
I found a vintage one at a garage sale some time back, only missing one piece and I have no freakin’ idea what happened to it.

curves are hypotrochoid, hypocycloid, epicycloid, epitrochoid

I loved the IDEA of the Spirograph. Once I went through the motions of setting up a piece of paper, and tacking the cogs down and then trying to draw the picture without moving one of the cogs, while correctly rotating the one my pen is in…

meh it was never as fun to me as it seemed like it should be.

Yeah, that was me. Or else the opposite–the pen would lift off the page at some point, and you’d have an epicycloid with blank spots in it. I came to hate my Spirograph as emblematic of my lack of mechanical and artistic ability, and stopped using it.

ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!. This was me. I loved it but I sucked at it. My Whee-lo on the other hand…

I only did it a few times. My older sisters had one and they played with it. My problem was my older brother ‘accidentally’ bumping me while I was doing it.

I downloaded one for my andoid phone for free.

This was me. I was a great color-er and loved repeating patterns, etc. But my Spirograph was more fun in theory than actual practice.

I am completely in support of this statement. My daughter will play with anything that we can do together. When the weather does not lend itself to outdoor activities the spirograph is a great way to spen dtime together. She has a hard time with the coordination but loves to fill the spaces in the spiral designs with color.

It’s also a great to for days when she is in a funk or a bit sick but needs something different to do.

A college friend will come over for dinner some times and spirograph with us. Its a great deal of fun, drink a bit, talk a bit, be a little creative. I think its a great toy. You will be the most popular relative ever if you spirograph with the neice/nephew.

I loved mine so much I bought another one in college. It was even more fun stoned. :wink:

I liked it. I just wish they would have come up with a clamping system instead of those lousy pins that would eventually move all over the place and your drawing would be wreaked.

The royal “you”, I’m sure - all my spirographings looked like shiite.

Hated it.

I think 95% of the fun was playing with the little wheels and handling the pens and positioning the paper just so. There was something horribly unsatisfying about clicking on a bunch of settings and getting that so-called instant gratification of seeing the pattern right friggin’ now. The other 5% of the fun was watching the pattern emerge from my fingertips. A mouse click was so… anticlimactic.

Well, that kinda takes the fun out of it. I wanna play, not watch the computer create one.

I have to admit I was excited starting around 1982 when I first could write a program that plotted out math formulas to a graph. Oh look at what that draws and how changing the formula changes the plot. A modern day simulation of a Spirograph does not sound fun or does my past plotting of formulas with what computers can do today. The paper and pen Spirograph would still be fun.

I was given a Spirograph as a sort of joke present when I was in my 30s; I had a lot of fun with it.

Yeah, that would have been great. I’d like an old-style Spirograph even now, not a modern one with only a few gears and cogs. I like to use those ultra fine pens they have today, and I bet they’d work very well in an old Spirograph.