Did You Have to Take a State History Class In School?

I did, in 7th grade, same as White Rabbit above. For some odd reason it was called “Social Studies,” but it was pure Texas history. As much as I dislike Texas, I have to admit it has a fascinating history, and I thoroughly enjoyed the class. It was probably one of the sparks to my becoming such a history buff.

Just sixteen? :rolleyes: :wink:

I can sing West Virginia’s 55 counties to the tune of “Four and Twenty Blackbirds.”

Barbour, Berkley, Braxton, Brooke, Calhoun and Boone. Cabel, Clay and Doddrige, Fayette, just in tune.

OK, you get the idea. The 55 counties song actually came from my older sister’s Catholic school education. I took WV history in 8th grade in public school, and, as one of the smart kids, took a test on WV history that would determine if I was worthy to become a Knight of the Golden Horseshoe.

I wasn’t.

Native Texan here, and I opened this thread to basically say what you did.

C’mon, I should get bonus points for being able to get names like “Androscoggin”, “Piscataquis”, and “Sagadahoc” into any kind of tune at all! :stuck_out_tongue:

Fourth grade in California is known as the grade in which you learn about the Missions and have to make little dioramas and stuff. I moved to Colorado right before we got to the part where you get to make a sugar cube San Gabriel Mission. :stuck_out_tongue:

In CO, we had a huuuge chunk of sixth grade devoted to watching *Centennial * and doing various projects related to it.

I’m not a native Texan, but I was raised there. As I said, I thoroughly dislike the place, but the history is interesting.

Washington state in the 80s-early 90s, there was a required semester of Washington/Pacific NW history/geography in high school. Or at least, that’s what they told us.

In my high school, it was frequently taught by football and baseball coaches.

New York State history in 4th grade, starting with the Iroquois nations. This was in Buffalo, we also did a fair amount of local history that was not in the textbook.

I had state history in 4th grade, but my oldest, now well past 4th, did not. The only thing I really remember from it is how many counties there are in the state and what their liscence plate designations are. It’s actually somewhat nice to be able to drive down the freeway and be able to predict that they guy in front of you is likely to do something stupid because there’s a 2C on the liscence plate and the SUV with a 2F is pretty far from home.

We were taught Indiana history in the fourth grade in the early 70s. According to my Houston elementary school teacher sister, their school district does Texas history in the fourth…not sure about the rest of the state. My neices and nephews here in Tennessee study state history in that grade as well.

I had to do Wyoming history in 4th grade. I remember the textbook looked like it was old and pretty cheaply made, but it was interesting and had lots of good photos in it.

I had to take one semester of Michigan history when I was in the 8th grade. This was in 1967.

Fourth grade was New Jersey history for me (1995-6). New Jersey history included some memorably awesome projects such as churning our own butter (by spending a whole afternoon shaking up cream and salt in a tupperware) and - best school project EVER - when we had to do group projects about the 21 counties, each group was given a piece of paper with an outline of the county, with the instruction to bake a cake and cut it out in that shape. Then we put them all together into a giant cake in the shape of New Jersey!! I still talk about the awesomeness of this project frequently.

Yep, Wisconsin history in 4th grade. We used textbooks from the early 60’s. Memorizing all 72 counties was not part of the curriculum, however.

Tasmania- all the way through primary school. Not so much in high school, by that time we’d already learned the grim facts. Not much modern state history, just the colonial gore, which was substantial, of course.

New Jersey used to do it for all of 4th grade. Your wife may be lying, as I have friends that were in my 4th grade class that swear they never took NJ state history.

I had New York State history in 7th grade. Hot topics included the Iroquois Nation, New Amsterdam, the Erie Canal, and the state government structure. The textbook we used was very old – the last chapter was called “The Future” and talked about the marvelous Thruway project that would be constructed, and how perhaps, if we readers were lucky, someday we would drive on this glorious roadway of the future.

Yes, we had New Jersey history in my school. Pretty interesting stuff, too, that you wouldn’t find elsewhere. (In pop culture, New Jersey tends to get dumped on a lot.) It helped that I was growing up during the Tercentenary, when they had lots of historical stuff around, and was in Boy Scouts, who covered a lot of NJ history, often by hiking through the sites. (Memo: Valley Forge was not a cold, hard winter. But Morristown, N.J. WAS. )

Let’s see, I went to school in Texas, Utah, New Mexico, Texas again, California, and Texas. The only state where I remember taking state history was Texas.

I took an elective, one-semester course in Michigan history in my high school. That’s all that was offered and nothing was required.