Did you know in 2016 how bad Trump really is?

They tried and failed.

For example, Senator Graham said that choosing between Cruz and Trump was like choosing between being shot or poisoned.

Having the nominee selected in primaries means that party leaders now have the same one vote I do.

Huh, what a strange comment.

Here it is in context:

Unless I’m being whooshed, it refers to Mussolini.

I meant his patently false claim that the Southern Strategy was a myth.

Yes, the Southern Strategy was a myth. You’ve been conned if you believed that.

Right, I realized immediately that you were replying to another post (because the threaded responses are sometimes confusing the way they display in Discourse), and tried to delete my comment. However, it wouldn’t accept my edit for some reason (maybe because you were already replying?).

ETA: I agree, that is a strange comment.

Cite?

That isn’t true. That’s just something conservatives say because it makes them feel better.

Southern legislatures, governors, Senator, Congressperson…all mostly Democrat for decades after the supposed “Southern Strategy”.

During the 2016 election, I sure did not envision that the Trump campaign was working so closely with a foreign power. I mean, this revelation (initially in the form of the meeting in Trump Tower June 9, 2016, with three senior members of the 2016 Trump campaign – Donald Trump Jr., Jared Kushner, and Paul Manafort… discussing how to work with the Russians to gather information… was just amazing.

More amazing still was the acceptance of the campaign working with foreign intelligence agencies among the Republican party.

And even more astounding is how they are trying the exact same playbook again during this election, with the stunningly obviously fake “Hunter Biden Laptop Bullshit”

The entire Republican Party is currently simply an arm of the GRU.

Okay, that’s patently untrue and this is a highjack.

“Going into the 1994 elections, Democrats still held 16 of the 30 United States Senate seats from the 15 Southern states (which I define as the 11 states of the Confederacy, plus Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri and West Virginia), and nearly two-thirds of the Southern seats in the House. On a state level, the figures were even more one-sided. Democrats held 12 of the 15 Southern governorships, and 29 of the 30 state legislative chambers.”

“Let’s talk about this other thing, rather than what a shit pile Trump is”

Don’t fall for it. Don’t engage. Ignore.

… except that we’re closer to a civil war than we’ve been in a long, long time.

Please, can we not continue to indulge the serial hijacking?

Trump has repeatedly made war-mongering threats against Iran and North Korea. What he doesn’t do, so far, is carry out the threats.

In his first term, he has talked like a dictator, but didn’t (with some exceptions others may point out) act like a dictator. It isn’t unusual for an elected dictator to start out slow like this. Putin didn’t close down newspapers or invade Ukraine in his first term either.

It is fair to say that from a pure policy perspective, Trump has not been extreme on most issues. (Whether someone agrees with the last sentence will of course depend on what issues they care most about.)

Where Trump is undoubtedly extreme, compared to all predecessors, is in his open disrespect for previous norms of American democracy.

"… The Obama administration, which has a chilling zeal for investigating leaks and prosecuting leakers, has failed to offer a credible justification for secretly combing through the phone records of reporters and editors at The Associated Press(http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/us/phone-records-of-journalists-of-the-associated-press-seized-by-us.html) in what looks like a fishing expedition for sources and an effort to frighten off whistle-blowers.

On Friday, Justice Department officials revealed that they had been going through The A.P.’s records for months"

It is to laugh.

I havent been afraid of a nuclear war since the Kennedy days. Now I am.

Yes, they were Dixiecrats. They usually voted along with the Republicans in Congress. In 1948 they ran Strom Thurmond as a 3rd party candidate. Because the despised Lincoln had been a Republican, no one could run and win as a republican in the South for decades.

This changed with the Southern Strategy.