Different gas mileage at different speeds

My car gets the best gas mileage when I drive someone else’s.

Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
- Ambrose Bierce

Hey, thanks everyone for all of your advice. My wonderful new truck that was suppose to be “fuel-effecient” turned out to be a gas-guzzler. sigh

The national maximum speed limit was established in 1974; it restricted speed limits to 55 mph. The impetus for this regulation was to conserve fuel during the 1973 oil embargo and subsequent “energy crisis.”

The truckers (and nearly everyone else) screamed bloody murder because it took so damned long to get anywhere. Stating the obvious, many if not most truckers are paid by the mile or the load delivered; increasing drive time drastically cut their earning potential. They did not care about fuel economy, period, and pretty much said so. I remember truck convoys organized to keep the 4-wheelers on the interstates at the 55 mph limit as well (a practice that seemingly continues to this day), and they staged massive truck rallies at rest stops and the like in support of their cause. They never argued (even facetiously) for 55.

Having once driven from Chicago to Denver at 55 mph, I can tell you - it ain’t no picnic.

Sorry, but you’re remembering wrong. In the early months, the limit was 50, and then it was raised to 55. I was driving a 40-mile commute at the time.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

I can’t find a single source that supports your contention. Can you?