Digital remastering

George Martin figured out how to do this. The Beatles basically said, hey, do that again.

To be honest this was not an unusual practice by the time of Sgt Peppers, plenty of manufacturers were making reel to reel machines designed to do exactly this - there was alkways the problem of the physical position of the record and replay heads and this was solved by using one replay head as a record head - it means that the three other tracks could be bounced down and yet maintain syncronisation with any new material being recorded.

I still have a couple of Bang & Olufsen reel to reel machines made in 1966 that have this facility, I am pretty sure that Revox, Studer and Ferrograph had such machines - they record/replay in one direction only whereas later machines would be wider tapes and minimum of 8 tracks.

I hadn’t thought of that; it’s true if Burpo lives some place where they broadcast via the PAL system (I think they call it the MATE system in the UK, ha-ha) this might be happening. I wonder if they still do this though - it would seem by now they would have devised a better way to convert 24 to 25 without speeding the film up.