Dirty Jobs cancelled.

Dallas Jones brings up a good point. Mike Rowe and the folks at Dirty Jobs always treated the people whose jobs they were examining with respect.

I thought Mike Rowe had a new series about booze building America. I saw one episode of it…not sure if there were any more.

Funny, just opened this thread and heard Rowe’s voice on the TV. Ford’s Hurricane Sandy commercial.

The show was great, but it’s been limping for a few seasons. Time to call it a day and move on. Mike will find plenty of other stuff to do that won’t give him any horrible diseases from wading in filth.

They did 5 or 6 episodes of “Dirty Jobs: Australia” a few months ago. Same show, same crew (Barsky, Doug, Troy etc.) just based in Australia - apparently he can’t find enough new jobs in the USA to fill a season. And even then they apparently had a tough time finding jobs - one of the episodes was “do the stuff Aboriginal Australians do for a few days.”

There were 3 episodes, that pretty much covered the history of booze & America from pre-Revolution to present.

I recently started watching the show on Netflix Streaming. I’m only a few seasons in, and I’m really enjoying it, but even before I’d heard it had been cancelled, I was wondering to myself how long they could keep it interesting.

One thing the show made me realize about myself - I’ve always known I’m not crazy about heights, but I never really thought I had an out-and-out fear of them. During the episode in Hawaii, where he takes part in the high-rise window washing crew, though… I literally couldn’t even watch parts of that.

Just WAIT till they WALK up to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, to replace a light bulb. On second thought, you may want to skip that one altogether. Srsly.

I’m sure QVC would be more than happy to take him back.

Yup, I’ll be skipping that one! That makes my extremities go numb just thinking about it…

Pedantic nitpick - I think it was the Mackinack Bridge that connects the Michigan lower and upper peninsulas, wasn’t it? Same episode he cleaned horse manure all over the island there that bans motor vehicles.

I’m a heterosexual guy, and I’ll miss it. It’s true he ran out of dirty jobs, so it’s time to move on, but it was a great show.

Yep.

Another one to skip is the aerial tram greaser.

We don’t have a television, but we do have Netflix streaming. I have a rule that the kids need to maintain a certain ratio of approved educational/informative watching to fluff/useless watching. Dirty Jobs was a household favorite to fill that requirement. They’re not caught up on the backlog yet, but it kind of sucks they won’t have it as an option in the future.

But yea, it was clear the well was running dry. And eight seasons is entirely respectable.

Enjoy,
Steven

Yet another reason I think they should have retained the original title: “Somebody Has To Do It” or something like that.

It doesn’t have to be a ‘dirty’ job for it to be fascinating.

Huh, thanks Discovery for changing the title of what will be the last “season” of Dirty Jobs so that my DVR didn’t record the shows. The show had a nice run and I’ll think nice thoughts when I delete it from my DVR Series Manager. :frowning:

Three words: Wind Turbine Maintenance

I’m not very afraid of heights and that one put me over the edge.
BTW: this is the first time I’ve heard people implying that they watch for Mike Rowe as eye candy. I just thought he was a good, relatable, and willing-to-do-anything host. Will have to ask the wife if she was watching for the same reasons…

Really…I’d heard it; and I’m not uncomfortable saying that I could, in the right context, see me beginning a statement about Mike with “I’m not gay, but…” :smiley:

It’s not just eye-candy. Women go for the whole enchilada - his confidence, sense of humor, voice. He’s got charisma through the roof.

I’m a hetero guy and I admit having a mancrush on him.

Was it? Sorry! I think he’s done more than one ‘bridge’ show. A big tall bridge, to me, is like any other big tall bridge.

My favorite shows were always the ones with animals, who didn’t always cooperate. The Lake Erie watersnake episode is as hilarious as it is horrifying. I’m going to miss Mike Rowe not only for his looks, but his great personality and sense of humor. :frowning: I don’t know anyone who did NOT like Mike Rowe. He can be seen on Youtube selling QVC crap, maybe they have an example from his opera singing days…

Mike has a great, snappy sense of humor. For example, we recently watched the old episode where he was helping the snake lady catch water snakes by Lake Erie. Mike was on his stomach, slowly tugging a resisting snake out from under a big rock. “She’s coming!” says the snake lady. Mike responds, “Yeah, so’s Christmas.”

On edit: see? Everyone loves the Lake Erie snake episode!

Yup, my wife totally crushes on him. Me, I think he’d be a hilarious drinking partner.

Between the voiceover work, commercial work (Wrangler jeans, Ford), doing speaking appearances (for which, I gather, he makes five-figure fees), and TV projects like “How Booze Shaped America”, I don’t think the guy will be hurting for work, or money, any time soon.