Disasters that never materialized

August 29, 1997 came and went.

Integration didn’t end the United States.

ISTM that it could be they fought it so hard because they knew objectively that not a one of those dire things they foretold wouldn’t come true.

They don’t partake in alcohol, they don’t want anybody else to either. Awfully hard for them to prove a negative of what might happen after the horse leaves the barn. When the calamitous societal decay they foretell doesn’t happen, that kinda’ kills the whole thing right there. So their best shot is to try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Oh how many times we were told by a very vocal few about the fire and brimstone and woe that would befall us all after same sex marriage was legalized! And yet somehow none of that materialized.

%^&# edit window:
"* ISTM that it could be they fought it so hard because they knew objectively that not a one of those dire things they foretold wouldn’t come true.*

Should read, ISTM that it could be they fought it so hard because they knew objectively that not a one of those dire things they foretold WOULD come true.

Skylab didn’t fall on my house. I have yet to get trapped in quicksand.

But I do need glasses.

That Convention Center really needed the cash rent for the ‘field hospital’ to cover payments that were due on the bonds for it. And had they defaulted on those bonds, that would have really hurt all other ‘Chicago’ bonds in the marketplace.

So the city using Federal pandemic money to rent the Convention Center space and thus prop up Chicago bonds was a wise investment. And could also have been real useful, had Chicago had the type of pandemic that NYC had suffered.

Back in the 70’s, they warned us about the Population Bomb.
We were all going to die of starvation by 1990.

People are not, in general, trying to marry furniture or pets, either.

My cousin’s fiftieth birthday was December 21st 2012, the day of the Mayan apocalypse that never happened.

I worked on Y2K coding and there was a great deal of work to make sure that the disaster didn’t happen. It was because of all that work that there was no issue.

Hey, “crack babies” is the example I was going to post!

At any rate, I look forward to reading the RetroReport article, as I’ve always wondered.

Does anyone know if there is an objective field sobriety test available yet for THC intoxication? My biggest concern about marijuana legalization was intoxicated drivers on the road. Although I don’t really know how impaired stoned drivers are compared to drunk drivers.

At any rate, I don’t believe I’ve seen any stories about stoned drivers taking innocent lives in the 3+ years recreational marijuana has been legal in my state.

Your cousin never made it to his 50th birthday?

Either way, the district/precinct votes had literally been done in the 19th century, and for one of them at least, the actual boundaries had been lost/forgotten. And the way they were interpreting the laws is that the actual district/precinct would have to vote to be wet, which is problematic if you don’t even know what the boundaries were.

It was completely weird; I live in far NE Dallas, and we were dry, but less than a half-mile away, the city of Richardson was beer/wine, and then about 2 miles up the road, there was a tiny enclave that had once been the town of Buckingham that was completely wet- liquor, beer, wine, etc… as they’d voted for it prior to annexation by Richardson. In the other direction, it was dry until you got another few miles south, and it was completely wet again. And when I moved up here in 1999, there was still all sorts of private club nonsense for drinking at bars/restaurants.

There was a European study published by USDOT that found that stoned drivers were not nearly as dangerous as drunk drivers. I have a copy around somewhere. As I recall, drunk drivers tended to go faster and took more chances, stoned drivers slowed down and tried to be cautious. They were, of course, more dangerous than non-impaired drivers, so don’t smoke and drive.

Yeah, the thing about ‘your toaster will stop working because it contains a microchip’ was always BS, but there was no shortage of accounting and other date-driven systems that would have stopped working if they had not been patched.

It really annoys me when people cite Y2K as an example of ‘fuss over nothing’ when some of the fuss was definitely legit, and it would have been pretty disruptive (albeit not the actual end of the world) - I actually worked on a couple myself (including one that was actually a Y2K+1 bug in a database that could handle the concept of it being 100 years and some days since the start of the epoch, but not 101 years).

Don’t know about your state, but there’s evidence of a problem.

"…researchers looked at crash statistics from six states that routinely perform toxicology tests on drivers involved in fatal car wrecks: California, Hawaii, Illinois, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and West Virginia. The data included more than 23,500 drivers who died within one hour of a crash between 1999 and 2010.

The incidence of alcohol involved in the traffic fatalities remained constant at about 40 percent throughout that period, but the role of drugs in fatal crashes increased considerably accounting for more than 28 percent of traffic fatalities in 2010, which was up from about 16 percent in 1999. The research indicated that marijuana is the most common drug involved in fatal car accidents, contributing to 12 percent of 2010 crashes compared with 4 percent in 1999."

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/fatal-car-accidents-involving-marijuana-have-tripled-in-u-s--32314

A problem with these stats is separating correlation from causation, but the idea that stoned driving isn’t responsible for fatal crashes is a (sorry) pipe dream.

I don’t think the research indicates that the marijuana use “contributed” to the crashes. A person can test positive for marijuana long after the effects have worn off.

Although toxicological testing data indicate a continuing increase in marijuana use among drivers, a positive test does not necessarily infer marijuana-induced impairment.
https://www.publichealth.columbia.edu/public-health-now/news/mixing-booze-and-pot-serious-threat-traffic-safety