Discernable intelligence gap between different animals of the same species?

I’m not explaining it very well, then. Let me go at it from this angle, although I don’t have citations for what I recall having read about this: That a number of previous intelligence tests on horses have indicated they’re stupid, but that the parameters of such tests were better suited to a different species which would have the behaviors and motivations necessary to do well at solving the particular problem.

Hence the chimps versus horses on object-piling tests observation. The chimps would do well on such a test, in part because, yes, they are smarter than horses, but also in part because stacking one object on another is well within the range of normal behaviors for that species. Horses don’t do that sort of thing (for one thing, they have hooves, not hands). They haven’t a basis of usual behaviors from which to extrapolate the required action.

Rephrased: You can’t give the same test to horses, dogs and chickens and expect it to tell you anything reliable about each species’ intelligence as compared to the other two.

OK, I understand now. You’re talking about the problem of bais in testing animal intelligence as a whole. I thought you were talking about problems of bias between groups. And I agree, trying to find ways to test intelligence for many species can be a problem.

However I think that most doggy intelligence tests are fairly sound insofar as turning over rocks, opening hollow logs or digging up burrow systems to find small prey is fairly normal dog behaviour, so the container test should give a fair indication of intelligence.

I can’t beat a bloodhound in a scent competition either, but I am pretty sure I am smarter than them.

Bake: Yes and yes. :smiley:

:smack:

That should, of course, be Blake.