Disgusting Question: Bread made with vagina yeast?

Well, maybe not. I captured it just by leaving wet flour open to the air, but the chances are, I probably just nurtured yeasts that would have been in the flour all along (which may not be any of the same that flourish on the human body)

Pretty much any mid-brew tinkering can do that. Even if you’d added the right kind of yeast at this stage, the end result would quite likely have been disappointing.
Similar things can happen if you decide to boost fermentation mid-way by adding more sugar. Basically, if it doesn’t start well, it won’t end well.

I think this is because there are distinct phases to the brewing process; for example, at the start, the yeast will be working aerobically and will be increasing the acidity of the wort - later on, it will be working anaerobically and will be producing alcohol - later still, it will start working on different sugars and will start to reabsorb or modify other chemicals in the mix, as it clumps together and settles out (there’s quite a good overview of all this here)

Beer yeast strains certainly are distinct and different from bread yeast strains though - and this is precisely because they’ve been selected as good candidates for each type of process.

However, it’s possible to make not-altogether-undrinkable beer using bakers yeast (I’ve actually done this, long ago) - it’s never going to be as predictable and ‘finished’ a beer as when the right strains are used though.
I’m sure it should be possible to make fairly decent bread using beer yeast (Never tried this, but I probably will soon, as it’s a really easy experiment).

I also managed to make a reasonably good loaf starting from yeast sediment left over from making a small batch of cider (which had been fermented only on yeasts naturally occurring on the apples) - details here.

I asked this a while ago, and the answer is simple: it’s not the same yeast they use to make risen bread.

However, theoretically, you could still make flatbread like tortillas using it, the pussy yeast just won’t make the bread rise, so flatbreads should be unaffected.

So the answer is yes, you can make bread with pussy yeast (like adding raisins to make a raisin loaf), but not the same bread that is required to rise.

I would imagine vagina burritos would taste extra ironic.

I wonder if you would call them “vagina tacos” or is that an oxymoron.

It’s a yeast that consumes starches and sugars and produces CO[sub]2[/sub] (and ethanol) as a waste product. Assuming it’s cultured successfully in the dough, it’s going to produce some sort of rise - just probably not as dramatic as conventional bread yeasts.

I bet you could give it a distinctive taste at least, given the right additional ingredients.

If they are tuna tacos then it’s redundant.

Isn’t that what they always do?

:smiley:

I’ve got this experiment on the go right now - and it’s looking good - a teaspoonful of dried ale yeast mixed with flour and water quickly formed a nice ‘sponge’ - I’m cultivating it a bit more and will bake a loaf with it tomorrow.

I’m afraid I won’t be tackling the titular question in this thread though - it’s just not something that tickles my fancy.

Done with fermentation; on to distillation…