Dishwasher hookup question

Here’s an article than addresses some of that.

Here’s an extract from another source

I have seen a LOT of dishwashers installed, from Miele to GE to Samsung and none, ever, have been hooked up to the cold water. A lot ( most?) don’t even have a water heating system.

Could you elaborate? I’ve never heard of butane being used for home utility heating of any kind. Only for lighters and camp stoves.

Were your plumbers Howard, Fine, and Howard? :smiley:

I have never seen a dishwasher without a heater in it. The cal rod is used to heat the dishes when washing and rinsing and to dry the dishes after running.

Er, LP is liquid propane, isn’t it? :o

Well most European style models don’t even have cal rods and simply drip dry. This is becoming the norm for energy efficiency reasons (as a builder I also prefer as it reduces vapour damage to cabinets and counter tops).

My Miele has no calrods but does have a heater to boost water temp, it is higher end. I did realize after posting that machines with cal rods probably would use those to boost temperature.

Heater issue aside, industry practice here in Alberta is to hook the dishwasher up to hot water. On a high end kitchen plumbers will get a copy of install manuals for appliances during rough in and install. For most dishwashers everything is pretty standard and they don’t even crack the manual.

I have a Miele.

[quote=Miele Installation Manual]
10. Make the plumbing connections.
An air gap is built into the water inlet system to prevent potable water from mixing with waste water. The dishwasher can heat its own water to the temperatures required by the wash program. This allows the option of connecting the machine to either a hot or cold water source.[ul][li]For lowest energy consumption connect the dishwasher to a cold water source.[*]For fastest possible wash times, with slightly higher energy consumption, connect the dishwasher to a hot water source.[/ul][/li][/quote]
Mine in plumbed into the cold water & works just fine.

Well, yeah, but it’s propane, not butane. They’re two different gases.

Whew… I was half afraid this was going to be some weird thread about an appliance fetish :slight_smile:

I’m an instrumentation engineer, not a chemist.
It is surely expensive as hell. A byproduct of gasoline, the price doesn’t seem to fall as gasoline does.

Went on a date with a toaster once in college. Got that out of my system.

I hope you both stayed grounded.

But how does this say anything about butane at homes ? I think you mean that you are adding propane and saying you meant “propane/butane mix”…

Natural gas , pulled the ground, is mostly methane,and is never stored in high pressure or liquid form.

LPG is liquid petroleum and is mostly propane and butane. This is used a lot in tanks because storing it as a liquid gives a good energy density.

However LPG in some places and times (winter) is sold with more butane, so could be called butane. I think they adjust the mix for vehicles so the vehicles run smoothly,so its not butane for home use… home users need a their “1” setting to stay one and their “3” setting to stay “3”

Perhaps that explains my confusion. :slight_smile:

It is shipped on LNG tankers as liquid. Extremely cold and under high pressure.