Dispute with nighbors over parking, am I being a bitch

INAL. YMMV. One possible to do list:

• Fix that gate. If you have to use a bike lock until you can get someone to fix it right, do it. Take no action until that gate is fixed.

• Make sure the property line is where you think it is & make sure it is clearly and recognizably marked. Once you know for sure, masking tape & yellow or white spray paint will make it obvious even to dumb-asses and paint dries in 15 minutes.
    If the landlord next door says something, claim you thought that he wanted you to do it… but now its done… and it didn’t cost him a thing.

• Hire someone who does a lot of construction work in your town/city, who knows how far back from the property line you have to be to build, and who has the connections to get the right permits through… to build something on your property there.
    A fence? A small brick wall garden? A tool shed? Doesn’t matter which… but get something up/built as soon as the permits are through and approved (and as soon as the weather allows).

Your neighbors are being unreasonable. They have no right to park on your parking pad, and are being audaciously disrespectful by blocking you in.

I agree with everyone:

Write the landlord next door and tell him that you are rescinding your verbal agreement to allow one car to park on your property. Tell him that you were prepared to compromise until your car was vandalized. Now all bets are off.

Put up a sign that says, “PRIVATE PROPERTY.”

Install a solar-powered motion sensitive light over the area.

Install a security camera. If you can’t afford one, buy a fake one.

If you still get harassed, consider getting a rottweiler. Nothing says, “Stay away” like a big dog.

Re: the line the neighbor wants to paint.

Don’t let him do this. I am no expert, but I have read over and over on these boards that rights-of-way can at times be legally granted to neighbors if you let them use part of your property for X amount of time.

You wouldn’t let him build a structure that was just two feet over your property line, or fence in two feet of your property; don’t let him build a parking spot into your property either.

I was wondering about this too. Adverse possession. Especially the parking.

I would think the lock on the gate would solve this. Yes, they can still block the gate, but I would think at that point, with no parking signs on the gate, it would be a no brainer to get them towed.

Yep, it sucks. And haveing to lock/unlock the gate all the time might be a pain.

Repeat after me - adverse possession is only possible if it is adverse.

If the owner gives permission (common sense would suggest in writing, of course) it is not adverse.

Really not complicated. Carry on.

Bollards. Install bollards. The purpose and intent of a bollard is pretty damn clear.

I would engage a lawyer to send the landlord a letter telling him he will be held accountable for all future vandalism and damage to your property unless he takes appropriate action with his tenants; and take the other sensible advise above about posting the property as private, having the cars towed, etc.

If you’re going to go that route, might as well go full on chevaux de frise..

I think the ultimate goal is to have the current tenants no longer live there. That will be either voluntary or involuntary. On the voluntary side, making the living experience as terrible as possible for them by towing, citing, calling the police, or suing them can accomplish this.

For involuntary removal, You can encourage the landlord to evict them by making their life more difficult - constant calls and complaints, suing, code violations, police reports, etc. can encourage this.

You are so not being a bitch. BUT…in this case, it looks like you totally NEED to be one, and say fuck it all. They park on your property, slashed your tires, and blame YOU for it? Fuck 'em. Be as a bitch as you want.

For decades smokers have been pushed further and further out, and each time they simply gave in.

Don’t want us to smoke inside? Okay, we’ll go outside.
Don’t want us to smoke right outside the door? Okay, we’ll go around the corner.

They let others continually redraw the line and just went along with it every time. Don’t be them.

The NRA, OTOH doesn’t give an inch, ever, for any reason whatsoever. Even when modest, reasonable compromises are proposed, they fight it tooth and nail. You want to redraw the line a millimeter in, they redraw it a foot further out.

Be the NRA.

Remember that if a car is parked partially over the property, you should only tow the portion that is on your side of the line and leave the rest along. An acetylene torch would be very helpful for this. :slight_smile:

Okay, that made me laugh.

I’m taking all suggestions in. I put a call in to the landlord and am still waiting to hear back. He could be working? I don’t know. He seems nice.

My problem with bitchiness is that I seem to have no in between. I can go from calm, placid, earth mother to screaming in-your-face banshee in seconds. It is really hard for me to gauge where I am on the bitchy scale.

I had an even better idea.

Imagine the person parks next to their building. But they are two feet over onto your property.

You have the permits and contractors ready. They park and then you build a wall on your property that blocks them in. The ONLY way they can get their car out is to dismantle the car, or their building.

:slight_smile:

Ain’t gonna happen but one can always dream.

Landlord stopped by, talked a bit, got some more information from me.

He obviously doesn’t want any trouble either.

So we will see what happpens.

So you’ve talked to the landlord twice and what do you have to show for it? He has gained information from you, concessions from you, and you have gained…slashed tires and trespass. Sometimes the desire to avoid conflict lets others take advantage of you.

this. When people insist they can park on your property because there isn’t any other place to park then you’re done. They’re too stupid and violent to risk dealing with ever again.

Yes. Standing up for yourself and demanding someone solve a problem that is theirs to solve isn’t “being a bitch,” and it doesn’t have to involve a raised voice.

A sign that reads “Private Property” that would be obvious to anyone parking where you don’t want them to might help keep them away.

It’s war. They already set the upper bounds at slashing tires, for you anything up to and including slashing tires is just fair play. Screw those people. You aren’t being a bitch, they need to go to hell.

I don’t recommend their slashing tires but I would have a camera up immediately so you can have them arrested when you catch them.

Four camera security systems cost as little as $109 on Amazon right now.

Buy one, mount it high on the 2nd floor with 2 cameras pointed out the back, two out the front and tie it into your internet. Make sure people know it’s there, it makes people think twice.

I have an old LCD monitor on the wall next to my television - I can look out at 4 cameras anytime I am sitting in my living room. Car door slam? So and so’s home. Two am yelling? Looks like the drunks are coming home from the bar.

Oh look, my car was vandalized… Caught him; he paid me cash for the repair.

The peace of mind is wonderful.

PS: Be the bitch, it’s okay.