Do Any Neighboring Nations Have a Better Relationship Than The U.S. and Canada?

All I know is that it can take over an hour to cross the border. By contrast, between Switzerland (not even an EU country) and any neighbor, there are hardly any controls.

You wouldn’t know it from all the derogatory jokes they tell about each other.

As far as land boundaries go, isn’t the US-Canada border the longest in the world? Before the breakup of the Soviet Union, I think the longest was USSR-China.

Actually that’s exactly how you can tell. We talk about Kiwis the same way we talk about people from other states in Australia - with ridicule and silly nicknames. :wink:

Not all even have roads; for example, the Canadian one that canoeists and fishermen use on Sand Point Lake.

And then there was “The Outlaw” bridge built by the Rotary Clubs of Port Arthur and Duluth at Pigeon River, despite not having the go-ahead from the feds. Eventually, the feds got on-board, and now the crossing has been moved a little downstream, where if you ask nicely at the Canadian side, and provide some ID, the Canadian Boarder Agency officers will loan you the key to Canada which unlocks the border fence gate that folks like to use for fishing access.

The USA has instituted passport control for almost everyone crossing the border into the USA from Canada, but Canada has not instituted passport control for Americans crossing the border into Canada.

*Last thing I remember I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
“Relax,” said the night man, “We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave”
*(Eagles: Hotel California)

Not quite - the US has instituted passport controls. Americans and Canadians do not need to show a passport to enter Canada, only to enter the US.

I was skiing up in Riksgränsen (Sweden) and due to me being crap and being in pain, I thought I’d take a day trip to Narvik (Norway), which was apparently just a short train trip away. Not owning a passport from a Nordic nation, I asked the people at the hotel if I’d need my (British) passport. They looked at me like I was mad.

Depends which border crossing you use and the volume of traffic. If I go to North Dakota, there’s usually no line-up and I’m across in 5 minutes from pulling up to the US Customs site.

Citizens of the US and Canada still don’t need a passport to enter the US from Canada via land. Passports (and passport cards) are just the most readily-accessible document for most people (most states and provinces don’t offer enhanced drivers licenses yet, and trusted traveler cards are a pain in the ass to get).

It’s been much longer than that. Passports have been required certainly since the mid 1980s.

When we flew from the US to Helsinki via Stockholm, we were stamped in Sweden and the customs agent chided us for merely passing through her country. I had to promise to stay for a while the next time. Once in Finland, there was was an official looking sign directing foreigners through a certain door, where I expected to find Finnish customs agents. Instead, we just spilled out into the main terminal, like P. T. Barnum pointed us to the Egress himself.

Skiing in the alps there are many (linked) resorts that span multiple countries. So you go up the mountain in france and ski down in Italy or Switzerland. At most there will be a small sign next to the slope indicating you crossed into a different country. This is also possible between Austria/Italy and Italy/Slovenia and there are probably a few more combinations.

Belgium has historically been a part of the Netherlands. Given the continued political chaos in Belgium I don’t understand why the Dutch army hasn’t marched into their renegade province and liberated their wayward countrymen already.

Most of Europe has been part some other part of Europe, Belgium used to be part of the Thrid Reich, don’t expect German tanks there anytime soon.

The land border between the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland) and (the Republic of) Ireland was formerly very obvious because of security concerns. However, since the IRA stopped murdering people, the border is almost invisible today.

You barely notice the crossing until you see small differences in road markings. Direction signs have English and Irish names in the Republic and use kilometer distances, not miles. Otherwise the main difference is in the currencies used - sterling and euro.

After nearly a century of separation, there is a cultural difference between the two parts of the island. However a free-flowing exchange of real people on the ground is creating more links between people than decades of murder by the IRA

And every so often there’s a bit in the news about some guy who was arrested and deported for crossing the street in that town on the Quebec and Vermont that straddles the border; or someone arrested and deported for using the wrong gate in the hedge on the small peninsula south of Vancouver. Oddly enough, some US Border Patrol can be dicks. When’s the last time a Kiwi was deported from Australia for anytihng other than serious crime?

I’ve just tried to ID that town on Google-Maps, and was unsuccessful. What town is this?

If you want a strange border town I can give you Baarle-Nassau (Netherlands) and Baarle-Hertog (Belgium).

Americans returning from to the USA from Canada: 404 - Page Not Found

Canadians entering the USA: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=308000

I think he’s talking about Stanstead, QC and Derby Line, VT, but I’ve never heard of any unpleasantness coming from there. However, I have heard of problems at the border between Pohénégamook, QC and Estcourt Station, ME. A few years ago a guy crossed the border to gas his truck, and forgot he had his gun with him. He was detained for several months in an American prison before being deported back to Canada.

Estcourt Station isn’t even a real town, it’s a part of Pohénégamook that happens to be on the American side of the border. According to this article it has a population of 4. And the incident is described there.