Do Brita filters actually DO anything?

My daughter and family live in the country and their well water has a very strong sulfur smell to it. It is so bad that I will not drink it. She bought one of those pitchers just to see if it would take the smell out and it works great. The family has been using it for about 2 years and would not think of drinking a glass of water that was not filtered through the Brita.

The sig line on the first post after the OP is:

“My new motto: Never leave home without a vagina!”

If you have sigs turned off, you never saw it.

The vagina thing snowballed after I made a gut-busting, knee-slapping, heeeelarious reference to the signature line on SCSimmons original post- the second in the thread, I believe.

BTW, my snappy rejoinder will be an even bigger belly laugh after that spliff. Enjoy!

BP

Activated carbon is characterized by its extremely large surface area. The surface area per gram of material can range from 500 square meters to as high as 2500 square meters. (Note: 2500 m[sup]2[/sup] is a bit more than half an acre.)

Gravity filtration works just fine. Actually, the water does simply flow over the carbon; by a process known as adsorption, contaminants present in the water that have a higher affinity for the carbon than the water are thereby removed.

I worried about this too, with a new baby in the house when I first installed the filter. I did an extensive literature search on the topic, and found a definitive study indicating that activated carbon does not appreciably affect dissolved fluoride in the water.

While activated carbon can improve the taste of water, it will not make the water softer (i.e. will not remove hardness ions).

I don’t know about tooth decay, but those who use water filters have a higher resistance to mind control.

My fridge filter works superbly. And at about 1/3 the cost of a Brita filter. Consider your costs next time you’re shopping for a fridge.