Do Christians believe that the Second Coming is imminent?

Jesus already did come back, but he was gagged and tied up in a basement, somewhere in the Vatican. The priests and ministers of all major religions had way too much at stake, so they’ve got him locked up and it’s all a gigantic cover-up.

Ah, If I beleived He’s coming right soon, then I wouldn’t have bothered to mail off that last batch of bills.

As to “…the Son of man coming in his kingdom”, “…till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power”, etc., I beleive there is also a quote about “my kingdom is not of this world”. Look for the “Kingdom of God” in your hearts, believers.

Well, Squink, there are those that take that passage and part of John 21 to infer that John the Beloved Disciple never died. However, even the Fundies. regard them as a lunatic fringe.

CK – funny, but he’s actually in the Ozarks. :wink:

Just FYI, the LDS take on this is:
Yes, Jesus is coming back, but nobody knows when. There are things that have to happen first, which have not happened (that we know about) so it probably won’t happen tomorrow, but we should live so that if it did, we would be ready.

Matthew 24 contains references to the fall of Jerusalem in AD 70, as well as the Second Coming, which is what has confused everybody for 2000 years (especially the part about “this generationshall not pass away…”)

I’m surprised none of you mentioned the birth of the Red Heifer: http://www.templeinstitute.org/current-events/RedHeifer/index.html

Jewish teachings are that a perfect Red Heifer has not been born in Israel since the destruction of the first temple, and that the birth of a Red Heifer in Israel would be a sign that it was time to rebuild the temple.

A red Heifer was born last month in Israel.

Mind you, I don’t buy into it, but if you’re an apocalyptic Christian, I imagine you’re getting pretty excited these days.