Do front-loading washers clean as well as top-loaders?

Another money saving idea.
If you aren’t going to stack them, don’t buy the driers that go with a front-loading washer.
We recently bought a new washer and drier at a scratch-n-dent store.
We found the washer we wanted and were looking at the driers. The salesperson mentioned that the drier that matched the front-load washer was about $150 more then the same drier that goes with a top-load washer. The only only difference is the placement of the controls. Frontloader gets controls on the front, toploader gets the controls on the top. But because frontloader washers are more expensive, manufacturers have priced the driers to match.

I’ve recently purchased a front loading set and have had the same question, although, I can attest to my laundry smelling and appearing cleaner since using the front loading machine.

I’ve recently purchased a set of front loading machines, and I agree that the longer wash cycle is annoying! Of course, I have no choice but to live with that now. In defense of the frontloader, my clothes definitely smell and look cleaner since using it, and my water and electric bill (?shorter drying time?) have decreased dramatically.

My Whirlpool Duet frontloader allows me to pause it to add clothes, as long as it is near the beginnng of the cycle when the “add a garment” light is illuminated. Not sure of the time frame that I have to add something, but I frequently hit the pause button at the beginning of the cycle to add that “last sock”. Not sure if other models have this feature.

I have the bad odor problem with my front loading machine. I find I need to use the Whirlpool Duet “Clean Washer” feature twice a month, at least. The stores sell a special cleaner (Affresh or Tide are two brands I’ve seen) that seems to work better than the bleach, I’ve found. Of course, the special cleaners are another expense. I always leave my washer door open when not in use; wide open until it’s dry, then just ajar a couple of inches after that. I use liquid fabric softener, per the instructions on the machine. I might try using less as suggested to avoid the odor build up, but I dont really like the idea of using less softener because I like the way it makes the clothes smell. The long length of the wash cycle and the odor issues are the two things I do not like about the front loaders. In their defense, however, my clothes are cleaner, I can wash very large loads, and my water and electric bills are significantly reduced.

We are a family of 6 who average 6 showers and 2 loads of laundry/day, have a dishwasher run twice daily, a swimming pool which needs partial filling in the spring, I water outdoor flowers in the summer months, and we occasionally(couple times a month) run the sprinkler system in the months of July/Aug. Previously our yearly water bill approached $2000, and have noticed it reduced by about a third since weve had the front loading washer.
Also, perhaps water costs vary depending on the part of the country you reside in?

I can’t use a front-loader due to space constraints – do the HE top-loaders work as well? Or are they a marketing gimmick?

Which is better at washing braaaiiinnnnnnnss?

I thought most zombies did their laundry at the all-night laundromat, rather than buying their own washer and dryer.

I think the image some have of a front loader just spraying the clothes with water or using “just a couple of cups” is misleading.

If, for whatever reason, you ever need to interrupt a wash cycle, you’ll find the clothes are dripping wet; as if they were completely immersed.
Because they were, just not all of the time.

I have been using front-loaders for years, and on two occasions had to have my clothes “rescued” mid-cycle from a malfunctioning washer. They’re wetter than you think they are. The spin cycles really do remove a lot of the water.

My perception is that front-loaders actually clean better, and are less likely to damage my dedicates.

I assume you never take showers, always baths?

I would never go back to a top loader. I couldn’t believe how clean the first load of towels I did in the front loader was, and how grey the expelled water was. (To be fair, the top loader had had a declining spin cycle.) To use up the stock of detergent we had (not recommended) I used 5 ml/per load. I still have nearly a full bottle!
It doesn’t seem like my colors run the way they used to, and I can actually do my lingerie in the machine rather than by hand. I think the longer cycle inconvenience is more than overcome by the slightly larger capacity. I just had to plan a little better.

NO - Front Loaders DO NOT clean well or work well. DO NOT BUY ONE! Its a fad and will fizzle out! We have had a pair for 3 years.http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/images/smilies/smack.gifWe too bought into the “Green” explanation and are always ready to save a buck on utilities. Of course Consumer reports would be in favor- the Green explanation is a convincing one! And enthusiastic NEW owners REALLY BELIEVE the front loader cleans better, they have to - they just spent big bucks on such products! I too was in denial for a while! Are new owners going to report to friends that they made a BIG mistake, rarely, because pride is a powerful thing. Think about it. Common sense tells us, more water means more clean! Soaking clothing, towels, sheets etc deeply immersed in hot water is condusive to the best cleaning. When consumers are considering buying a front loader, most everyone’s first thought is- HOW can a front loader with a small amount of water clean as well compared to a top loader? Unbelievable right?http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/images/smilies/dubious.gif Well your first thoughts are correct, duh!http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/images/smilies/smack.gif Do you really think most store owners or Salesmen in a store are going to tell you what they “might” know as the truth? No, the store owner has to move his inventory and the salesman has to make a commission!

1. Front loader washers do not spin well. Think about it - spinning of a top loader centered ON TOP of gravity’s pull as compared to the spinning of a front loader. The front loader is constantly working against gravity. The whole drum is literally hanging from its mounts while it spins in opposition to gravity - which we have learned a) accounts for the constant re-occuring imbalance during large loads like towels or jeans. b) Clothes still being heavy and wet at the end of the cycle rather than damp as they should be.

2. They use too little water for effective cleaning. The clothes often still smell dirty and so we literally must wash a lot of loads twice! Its the only way to compensate! So I do it!

3. They do not drain well, again its the fact that the drum is hanging instead of centered on top of gravity. This factor causes leaves sitting water at the bottom of the drum which stagnates and smells, molds etc, after use and we have to always leave the front loader washer’s door open so this un drained water can dry up. This causes the wide open washer door to stick out in the pathway to the garage- always in the way of people traffic!

The whole green thing sounds good in theory! Saving on water and power sounds good too. But front loader washers are just not for home use. The BIG front loading washers in laundry mats and hospitals and hotels are “industrial” for sanitation purposes using heavy chemicals and I doubt they use less water.

Also manufactures of washers/dryers need to revitalize their business and create “new improved products” with the popular sell tactic label of “high-tech” which is popular for lots of NEW products today. Most everyone wants *to sport *“the new improved high tech versions of everything”, again a pride thing. Unfortunately many of us fall into these traps which manufactures and advertisers devise for we the trusting consumers to fall in and they smile all the way to the bank!

Somethings simply cannot be improved upon since our ancestors - like the spoon AND needless to say, using of lots of water to effectively clean our clothing and textile products adequately! **As in the long standing use of top loading washing machines! I am looking forward to my next new washer- a good reliable deep top loading washer with lots of settings!THE SMART BUY - A TOP LOADING WASHER!

A fad? I don’t think I’ve ever used a top loader. I certainly don’t know of anyone with them. Washing machines have been front loaders all my life.

I don’t think it’s a “fad”.

Also, I and everyone I know don’t walk round in dirty smelly clothes.

I’d suggest dialling the hyperbole and CAPS back a bit. Clearly both work just fine. It’s not that bug a deal; calm down.

The big capacity washers at Laundromats have always been front loaders (going back to the late 70’s in my experience). I still go twice a year to wash my blankets and bedspreads.

Those huge capacity washers seem to do a great job on my blankets.

Every washing machine sold in Norway for the last couple of decades is a front-loader, and no, we’re not all walking around in dirty clothes or washing our clothes twice. Even my ancient washing machine, bound to be more than 40 years old, has a drum with a horizontal axis even though it loads from the top.

If you dont know anyone owning them or using them or have never used them yourself HOW do you know enough to be objective? Yes they are a FAD for home washers recently! People asked a litigimate question and have gotton a lit answer because I care about others who might buy these products for the home. To be fore-warned is to be fore-armed! Consumers looking for input before purchasing are wise.

I know I don’t stink. I know that CAPS and over-excitement is not appropriate. And if it’s a “FAD!!1!one” then it’s a 30 year “FAD!!!one!!11” which hardly qualifies as “recently” in my eyes.

It’s just a washing machine. Calm down. Did a washing machine kick your puppy or something?

I plan to purchase a new top loader in the next year or so. I need to soak heavily soiled clothes in water with bleach. That’s the only way to remove sweat stains from my t-shirts and underwear after working or hiking outdoors.

How do people wash diapers in a front loader? They have to be soaked in bleach to get the piss & poop stains out. We always soaked our kids diapers a full half hour before turning the cycle back on.

AFAIK you can’t soak clothes in a front loader.

One big advantage of a front loader is that you can stack a dryer on top of it and use less floor space.