Do gays really just hurt themselves with "blatant" advertising?

Handshakes are rape, remember? :smiley: I don’t think man-on-man rape would help much.

I did say earlier that maybe it was confirmation bias. Using Glee as an example was probably a bad idea since I don’t watch the show. On the other hand, I don’t watch much episodic TV at all, and I can’t think of anything I frequently watch that does have gay characters in it.

There are also guys out there who tend to be a wee effeminate who aren’t necessarily gay. Or women who are “butch”, but aren’t lesbians.

I don’t think anyone on Will and Grace was effeminate. Will certainly wasn’t. Vince wasn’t. Jack was hyper, but not effeminate. Scott Foley wasn’t. Joe and Larry weren’t.
I think there’s probably more ‘masculine’ gay men on TV then effeminate…just like in real life.
The only people who I can think of that even got close to being effeminate was Beverly and his business associate Benji. Well, and some of Jack Talk audience, but I think they were just bad extras.

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, I knew about the lesbian characters. I don’t see anything particularly stereotypical about them. Am I missing something?

Well, regardless of what you think about effeminate, I suspect for most people, Jack is the embodiment of the effeminate gay.

Yep, that’s how this came across to me too.

For the record, the other three main characters on the show who are gay are Kurt’s boyfriend Blaine and two of the cheerleaders, Brittany and Santana. (It might be argued that those two are bi since they’ve both dated boys before, but they’re in a committed relationship with each other, so it’s sort of a distinction without a difference.)

Beats me, I don’t watch Glee. I dunno if it means anything but I wouldn’t be able to pick out the lesbians in a line up so I feel like they’re not ‘stereotypical’.

Well, that kind of goes along with what I meant. I’m not sure what the prevailing stereotype of lesbians is, but either way those characters don’t see to be reinforcing one.

nyx, is the Blaine character more masculine?

Wasn’t your complaint that TV does reinforce stereotypes?

He’s certainly more attractive and more in the Tom Wellings youthy hunk mold than the elfin Colfer type.

That it reinforces stereotypes of effeminate gay men. Not of LGBT people generally.

…by confirming that they exist? :confused:

I think that’s pretty clearly not what I said.

No, it’s not the bikers and the effeminates who “hurt the cause.” It’s people who have to hide who they are, in order to fit into your cookie-cutter world of conformity. I have been in Pride parades since 1970, and sometimes I ride with the bikers, sometimes I’m with the “Faeries,” and sometimes I sing with the Gay Men’s Chorus. I even wore a 3-piece suit once. But whoever I’m with, and whatever I look like, I’m the same person. And if my diversity offends you, then maybe you could stand a little diversity in your own life.

So now we’ve seen a video that shows a guy coming home from war and embracing and kissing his partner . . . precisely what we’ve seen straight people doing every time anyone comes home from war. And somehow people get offended by this, because it reinforces a stereotype? What stereotype, that we’re capable of the same emotions you have? Let’s see if I understand this: Don’t be effeminate, because that’s a stereotype. Don’t be overly masculine, because that’s a stereotype. And don’t be shown doing the exact same thing as everyone else, because someone, somewhere, will be offended.

The message is clear: The portrayal of us merely existing is offensive. We shouldn’t be seen or heard, we should go back to being invisible, like we were back in the '50s. That will make the bigots happy.

Well, don’t hold your breath.

It’s honestly not clear to me. I’m lost, I have no idea what you’re arguing anymore.

Saying that you’re not homophobic but don’t like seeing two guys kiss in public is like saying you’re not an Islamophobe or a bigot, but you get upset at seeing women wearing Burkas or Hijabs and supporting laws banning the wearing of them.

I am under the impression that stereotypes in general are demeaning and detrimental; that representations of the gay community as flamboyant and effeminate are a pigeonhole, yet I have gay friends living openly and being true to themselves who might seem close to that stereotype, especially to people who do not know them well.

My question is with the GLBT equality movement seeming to make so much progress in recent years, is the concern about how the community is seen/judged by the main-stream still as important?

Because, unless I am wrong, it would seem that the general public must be learning more everyday about what makes the group not so very different from heterosexual counterpart groups, except for hardcore haters and phobes who will also hopefully become more accepting in the future. Is this being too optimistic?

In fairness, if you mean these paragraphs to apply to Really Not All That Bright, he didn’t say anything like that. That would be astro, along with Valteron’s friend.

Oh, for fuck’s sake.

I’m not offended. I am not demanding that anyone change their dress, mannerisms, or lifestyle. I am providing a (relatively) neutral outsider’s perspective. Don’t put words into my mouth. :mad:

I should know better than to participate in these threads by now.

Ok, you’re right, sorry. Some of that was directed toward astro and valteron’s friend.

Just answering the OP: I think that is a very sweet and necessary tv commercial.
In fact, when I read the OP, I wondered if it was yet again about the almost annual “Do flamboyant gays harm other gay’s acceptance”-debate.
Each year, after the Gay parade sends flamboyant gays in glittery pink thongs on boatsdown the Amsterdam Canals, like clockwork that debate starts up again.