Do humans eat anything inorganic?

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Quarry Cereal. “It’s Better Because It’s Mined.”

Of course, this is the group that generally failed to mention John Belushi in its all-time SNL cast, so maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that no one remembers the bit.

And let’s hope you don’t have any fillings in your teeth when you start eating aluminum foil - I cringe just thinking about that feeling.

I’m sure people eat a lot of inorganic things, mostly unintentially. Salt has already been mentioned. I might add potassium chloride, which is used as a “salt substitute”. I remember reading in Natural History magazine about folks who used to add marble dust (!) to flour to make it whiter. I understand that other inorganic substances are deliberately added to foods for non-nefarious purposes as well.

Some inorganic substances are poisonous, of course, and they’re generally bad-tasting, which is presumably a survival trair born of natural selection. One substance, however, tastes sweet – I’m told. Lead Acetate used to be called “Sugar of Lead”. Nasty stuff.

Hey yeah - doesn’t/didin’t at least one brand of cereal add small iron filings (which you could supposedly pick out and see with a white magnet) to it’s product to bring it up to the recomended amount of dietary iron? I saw it somewhere… I think it was here.

mmmiiikkkeee, why not try it for yourself?Use a magnet!

And this time, this link might NOT have a typo in it.

You could always follow the philosophy of this guy and not eat anything at all!