Do I need my birth certificate?

Or any other type of professional license. Georgia got the same thing as Florida, making renewals a hassle. What could be done online before, now needed to include some proof like the passport or birth certificate.

A. Actually, we legislated in December 2009 to prohibit everyone and his brother wanting you to hand over the actual certified document for them to keep in their records. Now you hold on to it and if they want a record they can keep a B/W photostat, which was already the usual and customary process everywhere else.

B. The problem that arose was that, for example, you would have schools or employment offices with hundreds or even thousands of obsolete but de-jure real and valid BC’s in a storage rooms in the dead files. These became a prime foraging ground for ID thieves, specially for illegal immigration purposes; burglars would break into schools and just sweep up all the past students’ files. Agencies and offices*** in other states*** began complaining of an influx of apparently legit Puerto Rico Birth Certificates from different time periods, which according to Federal Requirements they would be expected to accept.

C. The old system apparently did not consistently “declare invalid” de jure the old versions – what happened was that people in PR, even in government agencies, would just stop accepting the old ones unless you made a ruckus and brought in your Senator, because it became de-facto expected to just go get a current one for every transaction, since you would have to surrender it anyway. As part of the changes, we legislated explicitly that every certified copy stamped before 1 July 2010 would expire on 30 September 2010, and to notify all the other Secretaries of State across the Nation.

D. Many Commonwealth agencies use the repeated issuing of Certificates, for a fee, as a revenue stream so it was tacitly encouraged to force the citizen to get as many certificates as possible and surrender them (e.g. here when you apply for a job, the usual thing is not to sign a note in the application saying “I have no criminal record, fire me if I lied”, it’s for *you *to get a Certificate Of Arrest Record from the P.D., which costs you a buck fifty, and hand that over to the employer.)

In a small office in GA, they were content, after September 2010, of using my “invalid” birth certificate as proof. But they didn’t need to keep it, they just wanted me to personally show it. They returned it to me once they checked whatever they wanted to check.

I did notice that the certificate of good conduct in PR I can get for free and online (probably because everything wants it), while in GA it was quite a hassle and costed a small fee. I needed the certificate to renew a license in PR. The agency demanded good conduct certificates from the place I was currently living (besides PR).

And I’m glad they changed the law to just “black and white copies”. Yes, keeping lots of copies of invalid but original BCs was stupid.

I recently needed mine to make my renewed drivers license a “Real ID” which you’ll someday need to board commercial flights.

I don’t know how it works in the US, but here in GB we need a passport to fly anywhere, even internal flights. And woe betide you if you book the flight in the wrong name - like Bob instead of Robert.

In the US you don’t need a passport for domestic flights but I’m glad you reminded me about the name thing as I had to put my full middle name on my real ID license and usually book flights with my middle initial.

Hm, it can’t hurt to have it - I have a bank box that has my SS card, birth certificate, our mortgage paperwork, car titles, mrAru’s ss card and birth certificate, and some assorted other paperwork associated with my family trust. Well, and some heirloom jewelry and odds and ends that I don’t want knocking around the house like some roman coins in assorted metals, some US gold coins and the like. I can only go on the lam during bankers hours :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Mine, from Connecticut, says “Certificate of Birth”.

2. That’s what I came to say: when you need it, you NEED it, and getting one is a pain and time-consuming. It’s probably worth the $10 to get one now and hang onto it.

I assume you were born outside the US then?
Because I believe one is a US citizen if they were born in the US, and also if they were born elsewhere but their parents were US citizens. So if you were born here, it doesn’t matter where your folks were from.

It’s better to have it and never need it than to not have it when you really need it.

My son needed his when he got his learners permit and they would not use the register from the hospital, it had to be the official document.

When his father had his license revoked for getting a DUI he had to have his BC to get his license reinstated. He lived in MD but was born in Hawaii. If you were born in MD you could get your BC that day, but it took several hours of waiting. If you were born in a different state you had to have it mailed to you. The dumb clerk at the office thought that Hawaii was a foreign country and tried to tell us we had to go to DC to get it.

Save yourself the aggravation of waiting for hours or days, having to pay extra to order it online, and dealing with dumb ass clerks. Get one now when you don’t need it right away.

That’s true but it’s been a nightmare for my wife who was born in Canada when her father was stationed there. Finding all the required paperwork, or even find government workers who agree on what the required paperwork is, has been an ongoing battle for the past several years. I sometimes think it would just be easier to move to Canada.

I don’t have a birth certificate, I have a baptismal certificate from the Diocese of Montreal which lists the dates of my birth and baptism. This is what I have been using as a “Birth Certificate” for the last 36.9 years. I guess I could apply for a real one this summer when I am up there…

In most cases, a valid passport can be used in lieu of a birth certificate, so OP is pretty much covered.

For the rest of us, a birth certificate is one of those things you should always have locked-away in your bank box for one of those “just in case” moments…

IIRC Quebec didn’t even have civil registrations of births & marriages until the 1960s; up till then everything was done through a church or synagogue.