Do (non-human) animals ever misjudge their abilities?

There’s a squirrel my parents have named “Clumsy” because it constantly misjudges jumps and falls out of trees/off the deck.

Well, the cat DID make it over the gate in that video, which is presumably what was intended. It just did so rather painfully! :eek:

Never owned a cat, eh? :smiley:

This pretty much blows my mind.
When I saw the similar cliff scene described in the OP, it was stunning.

I know that we’ve chosen to ignore domesticated animals, but there’s a physiological reason why cats can’t climb down trees. Their claws are shaped in a way that doesn’t make it easy for them to scale down a tree.

road kill

That’s because you have it in a completely unnatural environment. In the wild they have no need to make jumps, they are terrestrial lizards. They climb trees to escape predators or to sun themselves but they never move from branch to branch. In fact they never leave the trunk if they can possibly avoid it.

Your lizard is misjudging jumps only because you are forcing it to jump, something it would never do in nature and thus has no inherent ability at. If you put a guinea pig or turtle in the same situation it would have the same problem for the same reasons.

IOW it’s not evidence of misjudging ability. It’s a case of an animal being forced to do something it knows it has no ability to do.

I am not sure if this fits in the OPs guidelines but I will give it a go and state my case.

I live in a rural alaskan town and the roads are usually very icy for an unfair number of months, no sholders and there are moose and cops, cycleists, pedestrians, hitchhikers, people pulling over for photos, broken down cars, chunks of debris, pot holes, dead rabbits eagles and crows swooping annoyingly close and other obsticles I am now to tired from typing on my phone to mention the entire winter.

I am trying to say that the drivers use plenty of caution accidents are infrequent.

I was driving home the other night icy roads dark and a moosey night. I saw a pair of moose on the side of the road in the ditch. I saw them a ways off. Only on the rarest of occasion will they jump in the road. They are very much not like deer. But even after countless times driving by them almost daily I slow down. I am going maybe 25 at this point in a 35 MPH 2 lane rural winter road. I am driving a big old red F250. With a bad joints all around making a racket and about to fall out spitting on fumes as I am nearly always out of gas. So my presence is known to the wildlife.

I see them, see me, see them. No big deal I pass moose daily.
Wait!! No?? What! They are gonna try to run across the street now? Mayby they are gonna make it. Am I gonna hit them? I properly break quickly look for what ditch to put it in if I skid out. BAMN@#%! I saw it see me. It tried to get across. But failed. In fact they both did. I hit that one moose square broadside he went straight forward with the impact taking out the other one. Two moose made a bad choise and they knew it I think even before the started skidding and spinning across the icy road like a like a failed sow cow.

If that don’t work I think animals fail all the time. Every time one gets eaten. They make a mistake and take a nap or a bite to eat without looking. Stay at the water hole a bit to long. I some how don’t hunk that is much different Han misjudging a foothold or a leap. Mistakes are made in nature all the time.

You excluded humans I think because it seems as if we make more. I bet we hurt much less than a wild animals. We hurt our selves so little that we treat scratches and small cuts. And sue if we slip on someones unshoveled walkway. We are careful creatures much more so than most.

Animals are always fucking up. They just heal or die. We talk ablout it till we annoy our friends .

If you search the term “animal fail” on youtube, you will find videos of animals misjudging their abilities. Most of these are dogs and cats screwing up, but some are wild animals making mistakes.

Now that’s a tackle that’ll make any linebacker coach proud. Drive hard at the center of mass and wrap your arms. :wink:

A couple different Kayaker friends have related stories of seeing Mountain goat carcasses at the bottom of big cliffs on the Kicking Horse River. I have heard stories of from avalanche experts of whole groups of goats found in avy debris also. I suspect falling is a pretty typical death for a mountain goat as predation is unlikely.

I think misjudgment of abilities is somewhat broad concept. Animals make misjudgments all the time. Predators do not get their prey every time, prey animals misjudge the safety of a situation. If you are simply asking if animals make mistakes, well of course they do.

If you are talking about specialized abilities that they depend upon for obtaining food and escaping danger for example, I do not see how they could be perfect in that regard either. The world is just way too complicated a place for any system of analysis to be correct every time.

According to the TV show QI the most common cause of death for mountain goats is falling, though it goes on to say that this is usually the result of fighting rather than a misjudgement.

Video clip

With Gibbons – who jump from tree to tree – broken bones are common. One study (pdf) indicates that a third of those examined have broken a bone at some point. The percentage is about the same of orangutans. The breaks occur when the animal misjudges something.

The deer that impaled itself on my neighbors wrought-iron fence misjudged the height and distance to clear it. Sadly it didn’t make it.

I think it was a National Geographic article I read many years ago (or some science magazine). They had radio-collared some cougars in the Yellowstone area and tracked their progress. From their behoaviour the naturalists’ conclusion was that unlike the myth of big cats as fast and dangerous killers, as often as not they missed their mark and the prey got away. (Don’t recall how they determined that.)

I was walking home from the orthopedist’s office, still wearing my full cast from wrist to hallway up my upper arm. I hear a noise above and fortunately move my arm, cast, and sling out of the way just before a squirrel falls down from a tree on high and walks away.

I’m glad I didn’t have to explain to an orthopedist tthat my cast got busted from a squirrel falling on it.

I remember studying that animals such as cats, dogs, squirrels, monkeys, etc. are poor judges of whether something can support their weigh.

Also, never, NEVER let your cat in the bathroom when you’re showering or in the tub.
They get more and more daring until they eventually fall in … I still have scars.