Do Not Buy From Dell's Web Site

I don’t expect a technology company to honor its warranty.

I expect for the issue to never come up (I recognize that you covered that with the “quality of the basic product” clause, but still).

Sorry, but when was it a good company? (I promise that’s not snarky)

The first time I encountered Dell was in 2001. US corporate computers for the place where I worked were Dells; there were posters in our US offices and factories advertising “deals” from Dell. Those “deals” were no such thing: they gave a lot less bang for your buck than HP/Compaq, Sony or Toshiba, to name three.

The company used different suppliers for overseas locations; attempts by Corporate to change this had met with strong resistance and been dropped. It was evident to the team of “internal consultants” in charge of implementing the company’s new management processes that the overseas deals were way better: the Dells were less powerful, less reliable and, as a quick data search showed, more expensive both in USD and in the McD variety.

Some data mining and watercooling showed that Dell was applying the same strategy in their corporate sales as in those “deals” on the posters: hyperinflate the initial price and then offer a discount “for being such a great customer but I’m cutting my own throat here…” Of course, the discount was nowhere near as large as the original inflation.

I’ve encountered Dell again, always as corporate purchases or leases. Time and again, less reliable than other brands and less bang for the buck.

So, was there a time when Dell wasn’t a pool of leeches?

What are you saying? Are you just being snarky? When you have paid $100+ for their “full service, in-house, change-out, bumper-to-bumper warranty” you expect something better than to be held on the phone for 2 hours by some flunky in Calcutta because the mouse is obviously defective. It wasn’t as though I was asking for a new video display or a hard drive.

Fine, they fucked me. I’ve bought probably a dozen computers and printers since then but I’ve avoided their brand.

Again, it ain’t just the economy that killing you, you assholes.

I ordered a Dell desktop this summer and received some minor hassles, involving a total of about 2 hours on the telephone and chat.

There was some weird stuff. Their packing slip uses extremely small font, but gives you a link to a their website… which also prints the packing slip in really small font. As they have mucked my order in the past, I was careful to check the order carefully and found no problems.

They advertised a free upgrade to Windows 7. But their FAQ said,

Emphasis added. So you had to check the FAQ to discover that there were unspecified charges. Searching the website couldn’t get me a price. Twenty minutes on chat finally gave me a quote of $35.

The website for registering for Windows 7 didn’t work, which led to a couple of hours on the phone over 2 weeks. One guy informed me I would have to pay something like $90 for software support, but I escalated myself out of that situation.

In the end, I was charged nothing for the Win7 DVD, to my knowledge. Whether that represents reversed charges or US policy is not clear.
I am not boycotting Dell, as their service is merely mediocre, AFAIK. I do boycott Buy.com for impressively lousy service I received in Spring 2007.

Wait, woah. Hold up.

1. I’ve bought from Dell since like for ever, and they routinely give me delivery dates that are completely divorced from reality and then reality works in my favor. If you order on 10/1 they spec 10/29 as the delivery date, and actually deliver on 10/8ish. Now, it’s been a few months since I pulled the trigger on a Dell, but I’d be really surprised if this was different today.

2. Pick up a goddamn phone and call Dell and cancel your order. What the hell is with all this theorizing about what their policies are or are not, or reading entrails on the web? Really, get off your ass and cancel. I mean, Jesus H, Sam, I know you’re not an idiot, go get in someone’s face!

3. You’ve done step 2? Right, now you get to bitch.

I will not buy from Dell again. I bought a high-end development machine in May of 2009. We’re talking 5K. It went bad 13 months later. Yes, I understand 1 Year warranty and all that, but when I spend 5K on a machine, I expect it to last more than a year, even if I don’t have extended warranty.

I had purchased something through their website. Before I placed the order I had an online chat and made a phone call to confirm they will ship to my address (an APO address). After twice confirming they would, I placed the order only to be told this week they don’t ship to an APO address.

Why buy from them at all… this is the service you get, when you buy it from them, what do you think happens, when it becomes a warranty case?

Dell machines are custom-built after you order them, and I think they’re a bit backlogged, hence the long wait. They clearly list the “preliminary ship date” in red print on the page after you pick and choose every component. The preliminary ship date is when they finish building it and ship it to you. The “3-5 days shipping” is only relevant after they ship it. When I was configuring a desktop last night, it clearly said the prelim. ship date would be around Nov. 30th. Did that change after you ordered or something? Or did you not notice it?

Regardless, Dell also offers “fast-track” systems that are pre-configured and ship the next day… And unless you chose one of the fast-track models, it wouldn’t have made it to your house in the 3-5 days.

I’ve never had anything but positive experiences with Dell…

Are you seriously suggesting that waiting 20 days for a PC to be build and then 3-5 days for shipping is acceptable these days, when you can pick them up at any supermarket?
We are talking about a BIG cooperation which is supposed to be in the computer business.
There is not much of customisation nessersary for these dell laptops.
I know it takes so much longer to click in two 2GB Ram modules compared to a singel 1 GB module or a 250GB Hard disk instead of a 160GB HDD, yeah right…seriousely… 20 days!!! And you are OK with that?

They just want to work with your money.

Sure, if you want a generic computer I do suggest going out and buying one at a retail outlet (or online at a number of websites). If you want a customized computer with the specs you want, then that’s what Dell is for. I don’t know why they’re so backlogged but that’s another topic… I just assumed most people knew that most Dell computers are custom built after you order them and they naturally take longer than pre-made models.

I bought my first and last machine from Dell last spring. There was zero customer service from Dell (though customer service from Microsoft was surprisingly good) and I had no end of problems with both the computer and the printer. I finally have worked out my problems with the computer by buying a copy of XP Pro and wiping Vista (it still would have been nice if Dell had given me ANY support), but the printer still sucks big time. Between my experience with the computer, printer. and the ink refills (did you know that you can only by Dell printer cartridges online and at Staples?) I will never ever ever go to Dell again!

We’d been buying computers from Dell online for years with no problems. Until last spring. For god’s sake, don’t EVER call Dell to place an order and give your CC number to a human being. Two days after we did (and right after Dell had a major layoff), we found that our CC account was frozen after almost $8000 in “suspicious charges” showed up.

Had that precise experience ordering in the UK for work. Their explanation was that they were running parts stock low because of the Recession. Hence the delay. And hence the lack of sale.

Idiots.

Ditto. I was quoted a shipping date estimate last June that was two weeks later than the laptop’s actual arrival at my house, too.

I used to own a computer company, and we made computers ‘to order’. But, to be honest, most people want standard computers, and anyway, there really isn’t that much customisation you can do. But it can impress the customer to know that it is ‘personalised’ especially for them.

But it is of huge benefit to the computer maker.

Take order.
Take payment from customer.
Bank money
Order parts. Never keep many in stock. The price list is created on a particular date. Later, when orders come in, the component price has usually fallen. OK, some items - like RAM - are volatile, and can rise, but it’s worth the risk 90% of the time. Price lists are frequently revised to reflect the falling prices and new configurations, and to keep you competitive.
Pay supplier 30, 60, 90 days later.
Earn interest on banked money.
Earn profit on sale - increasing as component prices fall.

If you can persuade your customer to accept early payment for later delivery - you’re quids in.

Bollocks. I work in a small computer shop. We can set up a desktop PC anyway you want, priced competitively with Dell or any other big retailer, and we’ll do you the added favor of not taking your money (other than a small deposit) until you actually have physical possession of the PC.

I suspect we’re not extraordinary in any way in that regard. Perhaps next time you might consider a smaller, local alternative to the mega-corporation du jour.

ETA: NineToTheSky nailed it.

In most cases, it doesn’t take 20 days for dell to get your computer to you.

But in some cases one component or other causes a delay in the order.

That’s not really the problem. The problem is that Dell doesn’t have polices to either a) inform you when a change occurs and let you cancel the order or b) cancel an order that is “in production”.

Nobody should be forced to wait for a product if they didn’t agree to a long(er) lead time up front. In all cases, if something changes like this, the customer should have the option to cancel the order.

Anecdotally, I’ve had systems that had changed delivery dates and they always arrived earlier. Go figure.

I bought my daughter a Dell Laptop for xmas last year. She likes the color pink, so I ordered her machine in that color. I was initially promised delivery well before December 25th. It actually arrived on the 27th. Kinda sucked, but meh, I’d do it all over again. I mean, it’s pink.

I call Bullshit… If do DO want a customized PC you go and get the parts or go to a independed computer shop.

If you want a generic PC you get a Dell. That is what they do - generic PC’s.
Dell does not manufacture anything, they only assemble it. There is not much configuring it involved with them.