Do not lie in the medical record!

Again, I KNOW THAT.

But what I’m trying to explain is that while the doctors involved may know it in their brain they don’t know it in their instincts. Their teachers, did not know it in their instincts. They were trained to act as if everything was for profit and as if anything could get them sued. Because while specific parts of the American system (such as the VA, Armed forces Medical, Medicare…) are not for profit, the mindset is.

You’re right pudytat72, they shouldn’t have done what they did, but they are probably understaffed (as explained by Stranger) although that is no excuse. Stay around with us, get some meds and some counselling if needed. Hugs.

You have no understanding of the medical and legal aspects of what is being discussed here.

Thank you for your kind words. I have been trying for many years to come to terms with what I experienced. It has been incredibly hard, and in many ways, seems to me to be an insurmountable problem. I told my psychiatrist that I feel hopeless and “too fucked up to ever be fixed”. My psychiatrist recently admitted that he had not fully understood the severity of what I went through. So, we have tweaked my medications and will see if we can find new ideas to help me heal from the trauma.

You persist in trying to make this kind of negligence as somehow relating to the for profit system of medicine that exists for most private citizens, but that is just not correct. Physicians are not taught in medical school to order unnecessary tests or promote some new drug by prescribing it for every possible off-label use; that is something that they learn in practice. The trifecta of Corporate Medicine/Big Pharma/Medical Insurance companies tacitly collaborating to increase profits and decrease patient transparency into costs just doesn’t apply to this sitiation (and in fact the big pharmaceutical companies don’t care for the VHA because of its institutional unwillingness to approve off-label uses or pay for experiemental treatments). Nor is this a situation of performing excessive and unnecessary diagnostic testing as a CYA maneuver. What the o.p. describes is just flat out negligence and covering, which despite BeenJammin’s protestations is a common occurrance both in the VHA and elsewhere, especially when physicians and nurses are overworked and understaffed.

The US for-profit system is pretty terrible, but the profit motive is not responsible for everyone wrong in medicine overall, and is not the particular set of problems that the VHA faces, which are again, overwork, underfunding, and a glut of new patients needing both phyisological and mental health services for syndromes and conditions that are often unrecognized or poorly characterized by current diagnostics.

Stranger

Having become intimately familiar with many aspects of VA treatment and services over the years including a couple of surgeries under my belt now, I can only say your opinion of my understanding in these matters is wrong. Whether or not it demonstrates willful ignorance going forward remains to be seen. Like I said above - good luck.

Just to add an opinion of mine to the discussion WRT doctors, which seems an un-inviting rabbit hole needing ignored, I’ll just say the VA doctors who worked on me were awesome. I suspect there is some fundamental reason the old VA location in Denver was a teaching hospital right smack dab in the middle of Rose medical center campus, one of the premiere healthcare providers in the country today. Bunch of greedy profiteers they must be.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was admitted to a local, highly-regarded rehab center for help drying out. The major depression was the cause of the drinking, not caused by it. Made the major mistake of admitting to being a bit suicidal, but added that I’m always a bit suicidal with no intention of following through, and joked that I have a paring knife by my bed, used for the many reasons it’s the birthright of every hominid to have a knife handy. Were my DTs or depression addressed at all over the next three days? Nope, but I learned that suicide watch can be intensely dull and psych people will take away your phone so you can’t tell your family where you are and take away your Prozac, where cold turkey can precipitate REAL suicidal intentions.

ETA: And my real Plans Z do not include paring knives, FFS. Too messy.