Do Our DOGS Really LOVE Us?

Well, I did a google on dog evolution and did come up with one article citing a study that came up with a date of 135000 years ago. Needless to say, this is controversial:

Full article here:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~jzgurski/dog.htm

who are we to assume that man is the only species capable of real love?

Well, what is love? I think we need to define that.

So, Cro-Magnon had dogs and the Neanderthals didn’t? I don’t know if that’s true, but if it is, I’m compelled to ask why.

My understanding is that Cro-Magnon won the evolutionary race due to their higher technology.

Of course our dogs love us. Haven’t you ever seen a dog pick one special person out of a household? Everybody feeds, pets, and takes care of the dog, but there’s that one person who the dog waits for, and snuggles with, and so on, more than anyone else.

The dog my parents have now was my dog when I lived at home. Actually, it was more like I was her girl. Mom fed her and let her in and out 500 times a day, and Dad gave her treats and shared his dinner with her. She played with them some, but she’d leave them mid-pettting when she heard my feet hit the floor upstairs or my footsteps coming to the door. The summer I was gone for a month, she refused to have anything to do with my parents. She just lay under a table and pretty much quit eating. Now she sulks when I visit and bring my pets with me.

Other dogs took up with my brother and ignored the rest of us. Others latched on to Dad. Dr.J’s cat wallows all over him and only occasionally acknowledges me, even though I’m the one who feeds her, gives her treats, brings her toys, and cleans her litterbox.

There’s no advantage for an animal make that sort of difference among the people who take care of it, and indeed it seems counterproductive to lavish attention, cuteness, and protection on anyone but the person who feeds you. Animals do it all the time, though, so I can only conclude that they truly do love us.