Do pentecostal christians accept crucifixes?

Interestingly, this site shows that many of the Eastern crosses have representations of the crucifixion cross, making them in appearance almost identical to the crucifixes with icons of Christ, but by the definition we established earlier, not technically crucifixes themselves.

I’m also kind of puzzled by the Antiochene cross used by the Maronites - I understand the symbolism mentioned in that page, but this would seem to follow the initial representation. I wonder how this appearance came to be in the first place - it looks like a cross to crucify Vishnu.

The Maronites are one of the Eastern Rites of the Catholic Church, being essentially the Syrians who stayed in communion with Rome. The three-barred cross on the linked page is not Antiochian, but papal; the three bars represent the same things as the three crowns of the triregno: the Pope as spiritual leader, ecclesiastical head, and temporal ruler.

Also note that Anglicans use the crucifix as well. And probbaly some “old line” Protestant Churches like the Old Catholic church in Holland and Lutheran churches in Europe.

That is all.

My mother is a minister of the latter persuasion, and she wants a cross pendant for Christmas. Not a giant one, but a small, plain one. I know if I got her a crucifix, she wouldn’t be upset or offended. It just wouldn’t be what she wanted.

Got it. Thanks for the info folks.

Here’s the backstory in case you’re wondering, since many people are guessing something completely different. We have a friend who’s very religious, and we know she has many crosses in her house. GonzoGal found a really cool scupture of a crucifix for a good bargain and thought she’d give it to her. (It’s one of those chunks of crystal with little bubble laser-etched in it to make a 3-D image.) Luckily, I caught it before she gave it to her and said: Waitaminute, what kind of Christian is she? She might not accept the Jesus on the cross. GonzoGal (being Catholic) had never heard that some sects don’t like crucifixes.

So now we know (and knowing is half the battle.) The other half of the battle is now a) finding something else to get her and b) finding someone else to give the sculpture to.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the help gang, I knew where to turn for answers.

I think, from my personal experience, only high-Church Anglo-Catholics would. Low-church Anglicans wouldn’t. Not that that has much to do with anything, and gonzoron has already said thanks, but just thought I’d sneak it in.

Vishnu is usually represented with either two or four arms, not six.

Yeah, I know, but I didn’t know any deities with six arms standard. Besides, I figured if it was the usual four-armed Vishnu, they’d have space at the top for the scroll.