Do political subdivisions in other countries have their own armed forces, as with US states?

Does the Texas State Guard have combat units, or are they just basically a civilian support force?

True enough. If you think that Mounties ride horses and wear red uniforms, you’ll be in for a shock when a white Crown Victoria pulls you over and a green-shirted Mountie asks you for your license, registration, and insurance.

I believe they parade with rifles with fixed bayonets. (see image 3 here). I expect they do some target practice but I very much doubt they take live ammunition anywhere off the estate.
Another private armed body (it’s run as a club, with entry by invitation) in Scotland is the Royal Company of Archers, who have various ceremonial duties but also take their archery reasonably seriously, and are building new indoor practice butts behind their clubhouse at the moment.

There is a third situation possible. The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is a provincial force as well, but for various reasons it does not currently have full jurisdiction across the entire province. The RCMP is contracted to police where the RNC is not currently located. This means the province of Newfoundland and Labrador has 2 provincial police forces.

If I’m not mistaken, the state of Texas also has a State Police Department, although that might not be its official name, as well as the Texas Rangers. I believe the Governor has control of the Rangers, or can assign them to take over investigations, but I’ve never been positive about the State Police.*

*I don’t mean the Highway Patrol.

It’s the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS).

Well, I’m way out of date; The Texas State Police were disbanded long ago; I don’t know why I thought they were still in force. Texas is a law enforcement intensive state is my only defense.

I missed Koxinga’s post; sorry.

good point - I’d forgotten that the RNC operates in more than just St John’s but not the whole province.

The Meaning of the Words in the Second Amendment

“the idea that a well-regulated militia was synonymous with one that was thoroughly trained and disciplined, and as a result, well-functioning.

President Kennedy also federalized units of the Mississippi National Guard during the crisis over the integration of “Ole Miss” (the U. of Miss.) in September and october 1962: Ole Miss riot of 1962 - Wikipedia. JFK’s speech at the time, explaining his decision: John F. Kennedy - The Presidency.

He did the same with the Alabama National Guard during his confrontation with Gov. George Wallace in June 1963: Stand in the Schoolhouse Door - Wikipedia.

Perpich v. Department of Defense is an important case establishing that, pursuant to Federal law, the Pentagon can send National Guard units overseas even if the state’s governor objects: Perpich v. Department of Defense - Wikipedia.

1. Nearly every American citizen is a member of the: “militia”. Today, it would necessarily include male, female, white, black. "“Who are the Militia? They consist now of the whole people, except for a few public officers.” (George Mason )

“*Second Militia Act of 1792… passed May 8, 1792, provided for the organization of the state militias. It conscripted **EVERY “free able-bodied white male citizen” between the ages of 18 and 45 **into a local militia company overseen by the state. Militia members were required to arm themselves at their own expense with a musket, bayonet and belt, two spare flints, a cartridge box with 24 bullets, and a knapsack. "
2.”*First Militia Act of 1792… passed May 2, 1792, provided for the authority of the President to call out the militias of the several states, "
3. In 1903, part of the militia was federalized and renamed the **National Guard **and organized as a Reserve force for the Army.

Pakistan has the Ranger, Frontier Corps other paramilitary forces which are often times raised and controlled by the provinces. As does India.

Legacy of the Raj.

[Moderator Note]

Better not to. Let’s avoid political jabs in GQ. No warning issued.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator