Do we cut women more slack than men?

Obviously not. However, I would ask in a similar vein: “Does being able to change a tire mean someone should assist anyone with a flat?”

I think that anyone who drives a car should be able to deal with common problems that arise. Note that “deal with” could mean calling AAA, calling a tow truck, changing the tire yourself, or batting your eyes at a guy in hopes that he will do it.

Canada noted this inequality and changed the laws so that it is not against the law for women to be topless in public here. Few women avail themselves of this law (or lack of law), but we could if we wanted to. :slight_smile:

No, I just think that women are cut far more slack in far more ways than men.

I love Canada more and more every day I spend on the Dope.

If you’ve been driving, don’t open the radiator cap PERIOD. Not only is the cap itself hot, but the contents are HOT (like HOT OH SHIT THAT’S HOT GET ME TO A HOSPITAL kind of hot) and under pressure. Picture a full soda bottle you have just shaken, and how easy it is to control the spray as it comes out. Your radiator is under a good deal more pressure, and more likely to send you to the hospital.

We now return you to your male/female comparison thread, but I felt this particular danger needed to be avoided. Your owner’s manual would tell you this as well, but few people ever read the owner’s manual.

1. Slightly loosen bolts.
  2. Jack tire off the ground.
  3. Remove bolts, replace tire.
  4. Slightly tighten all bolts.
  5. Let tire down.
  6. Gradually tighten bolts in a star pattern till fully tightened.
  7. Never use donut tires on pos trac axles.

Also, in many relationships (but not all or even most), men are expected to help with the household chores, but strangely enough the women don’t want to get involved in “men’s work”. The definition of “men’s work” is anything that is dirty, sweaty, physical, and generally a PITA. “Shared house work” becomes cherry picking jobs. This is just an example on how hard it is to actually implement egalitarian responsibility on people with stereotypes/gender roles.

I also agree with the micromanagement sentiment. My view on the matter is that you can have something done just the way you like it, when you like it, and how you like it, or you can ask me to do it. This sentiment has caused an argument or two BTW.

What’s with all this “he-man” effort all you need is a can of fix-a-flat.:wink:

Yes considering the father has no say when a woman gets abortion.

See post #79. As I noted there, a woman’s right to choose to abort a pregnancy that a man is partially responsible for is no more unfair or “privileged” than a man’s right not to be liable for the medical expenses of a woman’s pregnancy and childbirth that he is partially responsible for.

These differences exist not as a matter of “cutting women more slack” or “cutting men more slack”, but rather as a natural consequence of the fact that pregnancy and childbirth take place in a woman’s body rather than in a man’s.

If men want to be the ones in control over the issue of whether or not to choose an abortion, then it’s up to men to go get pregnant. People who can’t get pregnant are not being unfairly discriminated against just because people who can get pregnant are the ones who get to decide whether or not to terminate their pregnancy.

I can think of one, possibly quite trivial, area where women definitely get more slack than men, which is some kinds annoying but non-threatening behavior.

For example, smokers know that there’s always some asshole who, upon seeing you smoking, will furiously wave her hands in front of her face to clear the air of the deadly fumes from your cigarette. And possibly say something annoying and insulting (last week, as I was having a smoke outside my office buiding, a woman did the hand-waving thing and said “good luck with the chemo”).

And in bars, as closing time approaches, those women who are obnoxious drunks (who exist in abut the same numbers as men) will engage in obnoxious behavior more often than men.

This is because men come to realize fairly early in life that if they behave like that, sooner or later (probably sooner), they will get called on it, and they will get their asses kicked. After they’ve learned this lesson the hard way, they usually stop acting in ways that will bring on a beating. Women usually do not have this experience, because men are generally reluctant to beat up women,* and those women who act like that carry on merrily throughout their lives.

Now, that being said, the women who act like this are a minuscule percentage of women as a whole, and, as I said above, it’s pretty unimportant anyway.

• Yes, yes, I know, domestic violence, etc, etc. That’s not what I’m talking about.