Do women really want "bad boys?"

What should girls want? A pathetic douchebag?

Look, women like guys who are attractive to women. Problem is that having your pick of women to choose from tends to make you a little cocky and arrogant.

It’s like saying a good looking women is a bitch for not talking to you. She could have whatever guy who wants and probably gets hit on constantly. What makes you so special that she should suffer your interruptions?

This is a very good point. Not everyone lets their good looks, intelligence, charisma, money, etc., go to their head, but plenty do. If a guy has all these other desirable traits, a lot of Average Janes may be willing to overlook an arrogant attitude. They’d probably prefer that he not be too self-centered, but a handsome, smart, charming, rich boyfriend who acts like he knows just how handsome, smart, charming, and rich he is may not be a problem…to anyone but the nicer but less handsome, smart, charming, or rich guy who got rejected.

And thank you for mentioning that this is not behavior limited to one sex. For every woman willing to date a man who’s charismatic but kind of a jerk, I’d bet there’s a man willing to date a woman who’s sexy but kind of a bitch. If the personality flaws are big then these relationship probably won’t last long, but not all relationships are meant to last long. Most adults learn to get their priorities in order by the time they decide to settle down.

Lamia, you miss the point. I was responding to a very specific comment, namely,

YES, I know you’re saying that there can be multiple definitions of “bad boy.” That’s not the point.

OF COURSE hardly anyone wants to be in an abusive relationship. We can agree on that. However, this has zero bearing on whether women are attracted to “bad boys” — REGARDLESS of how one chooses to define that term.

Nobody wants to have broken bones, yet there are still people who drive recklessly, REGARDLESS of how one defines “reckless.” And by the same token, the universal desire to avoid abusive relationships implies absolutely nothing about whether women choose to be with “bad boys,” whether these are mere scoundrels or absolute louts.