Do you donate to NPR or a NPR station?

I think it’s not uncharitable to interpret your earlier post as saying I should be forced to pay for NPR. It’s a much, much larger leap to go from anything I’ve posted to farmers in Iowa.

If our system is such that I’m forced to pay for a radio station against my will, then that’s a flaw in our system. That’s not a compelling reason for me to be forced to pay for a radio station.

No, the question really is about why I should be forced to pay for it.

Yes. Yes it is. You appear to be thrashing around for something to be outraged about.

There was once a time when conservatives took pride in the natural, cultural and infrastructural riches of this great nation. Back then, they didn’t fear science or the dissemination of knowledge: they celebrated it and pushed for its expansion. They were numerate: they understood that $18 million programs (eg NPR) differed from $8 billion crop subsidy programs by a factor of over 400. Those days are past: it’s all empty outrage, all the time.

1. The tax code is notoriously complex, and you know dick about Bloomberg’s tax history. I’m yet to be persuaded. But it is a dodge.

2. I’ve never claimed to be a conservative. Doesn’t matter if I am or not. Also a dodge.

3. You’re pumping a lot anti-conservative talking points. I’m sure you fell you’re right, and you may well be, but it’s definitely trite.

4. Regardless of the above, I’m still waiting for a compelling reason why somebody should be forced to support a radio station.

5. As an aside, why are agricultural subsidies something I’m suppose to defend? I don’t see the connection to anything I’ve posted. Sure, it’s a pork, but why is it being singled out?

Because it’s something else the government funds, that’s all. Tell me, why should I care what you think about being forced to fund radio stations, when you don’t care that other people are annoyed at being forced to fund things they don’t like?

I can’t even tell you where to find the local NPR station on the dial.

Bloomberg: changing the subject really. Initial claims weren’t about billionaires. Here’s a hint though: I seriously doubt whether he personally gets bent out of shape regarding NPR. He understands that science-based programming improves the public discourse.

(FTR, they typically reside among the lower numbers of the dial, along with college radio.)

NPR itself only claims 987 stations.

And no I don’t donate. They steal enough of my money already.

Thanks for the correction. I should have checked that.

93.9 FM and 820 AM in your area.

But you were just looking for a snarky way to say “no,” weren’t you?

Why should I be forced to pay to educate your children? I derive no benefit from it. Oh wait, yes I do, albeit indirectly. If you choose not to watch NPR, that doesn’t mean others aren’t using it as an educational tool, particularly with shows like Nova, and documentaries like the Ken Burns efforts. An educated population beats ignorance, hands down.

Anyway, yes, we donate, both to OPR and to the local jazz station, KMHD. It’s one of the few 24-hour jazz stations left in the country and also provides a decent musical education.

Yes, I donate partially because there is so much stupid in popular culture. I support programming that makes me think. It’s sad that it needs to be supported and defended, instead of being celebrated. Why are we so proud of dumbing down?

Not snarky just true. Unless this was just supposed to be a thread for supporters of NPR that I accidentally stumbled into.

If you want more truth, whenever I’ve been flipping around and have wound up on an NPR station while I’ve been travelling around the country it’s bored the shit out of me. Lately I tend to go with satellite or comedy podcasts.

I should be forced to support a radio station because you don’t likecertain other taxes?

Why do you assume I don’t care?

Every rebuttal so far has been, “Other people dislike other things, so suck it up.” It STILL doesn’t justify somebody being forced to pay for a radio station. Repetition doesn’t make it true.

Not so. It is apparently inconcevible that any American has paid $2000 or more in his or her life towards taxes for NPR, and to clain otherwise is bizarre. Bloomberg is an American.

Fair enough.

If you like comedy podcasts, I’d recommend giving “Wait Wait, Don’t Tell Me” a try. It’s a weekly news quiz show that is very funny. (Or at least very funny to the average NPR listener, ha ha)

I believed this for a long time, too…then I actually started listening to NPR and realized that it’s the most informative and even-handed news available.

Which is part of the reason I decided to support my local station. The other reason is that once I started listening to it, I realized that it had become my go-to radio station while I’m in the car and I was considering getting a radio for my office to listen during the day.

I figured if I enjoy something that much, the right thing to do is help them out.

Ditto!

Still working my way through my newly discovered Kevin Pollack’s Chat Show. Although it loses something since I can only listen and can’t watch in the car.

Former WGBH, now PNW and KPLU. 40 minute commutes for decades, made enjoyable. Regret not doing it yearly…we also listen to the Canadian station a lot, at home, as it comes in better here. Don’t give them anything $, as I think they are completely subsidized- which might just push some folk’s righteous indignation beyond survivable limit.

IMO NPR has moved to a more centrist position and these days is less dynamic. And I wish Daave Maatingly would not talk through his nose :wink:

Do I have to quote you again? Do I have to quote myself again? I guess so.

Yeah, it’s inconceivable unless you’re paying well over $100,000,000 in taxes over those 50 years. A few businessfolk might be in that range. But I don’t hear them complaining about NPR.
Math: Divide $2000 by 1.247e-5 to get the cutoff. It’s $160,384,923.82. While Bloomberg may pay something over that during his lifetime, I trust he has sufficient financial acumen not to sweat about NPR. And again, his situation was a late introduction to paper over upthread claims. Regardless, I trust his math skills are pretty solid.