Do you dress well? Does it matter?

I wear dresses or slacks, heels, and makeup every day at work. I really like dressing nicely after so many years working jobs that required a uniform!

At home, T-shirts and ripped jeans, at least until after the dog is walked and the housecleaning done. But if I go anywhere, I get clean and put on nicer jeans and a blouse.

I think people can wear what they want around the house. When it’s just yourself and maybe family, it doesn’t matter if you’re wearing sweats or jammies all day. Or that favorite old ripped whatever. It’s when people can’t be bothered to change out of that stuff when they leave the house, that I question their judgement, and possibly hygiene.

There’s a guy at work, where there’s no dress code at all, except that we’re required to wear clothes, who is one of those intelligent sloppy scatterbrains. Sure he’s a poor grad student, but ripped shoes and shirts stained down the front just make him look like a mentally ill and possibly homeless dude. There’s just no excuse to dress like that when he could get a week’s worth of guys clothes resale for less than $30. I guess that makes me judgey.

I firmly believe in dressing well, but there’s a balance to be had. There are people at my work who wear ties, blazers, and full-on suits, and the perception is that they’re trying to get ahead simply by looking good. The ones of these I’ve worked with weren’t particularly useful, so the perception is accurate in my experience.

I wear smart slacks and crisp button down shirts with pennyloafers or some other modest dress shoe. This is consistent with the dress of our senior leadership when they’re in the office, and I think it looks professional and modest. As an added bonus, I think this uniformis quite comfortable, even more than jeans in my opinion.

Jeans, t shirts, sweaters and sweatshirts in the winter. Some form of athletic shoes.
I take off my shoes as soon as I walk in the office.

Shorts and T-Shirts in the Summer.

It’s good to own your own business.

I only dress well when my wife makes me.

For work, I try to dress decently - double cuff shirt, slacks, sports jacket.

It’s funny. Your opening paragraph is pretty much my rationale. I eat well, I exercise six days a week, practice good hygiene, and I dress well. All of them are part of living well, but the latter is the one most people have trouble with.

Dressing well is actually the easiest of them all. Years ago, I made the effort to read up on what makes a good wardrobe, what colors work for me and what to avoid, fabrics, quality construction, good fit, and added those items to my wardrobe and winnowed out the stuff that makes most people look like slobs. Once that’s done, there’s nothing left to do - I get dressed every morning according to what my agenda is, secure in the knowledge everything works. Much unlike the ongoing effort it takes to stay in shape or eat properly.

After I got married, my wife gave me a lot of constructive suggestions on how to dress better. Since then, I’ve gotten many compliments on my appearance by friends and family members.

I’ve started dressing a little nicer on certain occasions. Not for work - there it’s still jeans, boots, and sweatshirts because it’s damned cold.

My sartorial improvement led to this conversation with my then 10 year-old grandaughter:

“Pawpaw, why are you dressing up?”

“Well, Sweetpea, I’m getting older. If I want to girls to look at me, I need to dress a little sharper.”

“You don’t need the girls to look at you, Pawpaw. You’ve got Nonnie.”

“Nonnie’s a girl, too, you know.”

And, yes, it does matter. It’s one of many things I wish I was more aware of as a young man.

I dress very well and make a point of it.

Just for you all, I’m going to wear a tie tomorrow.

(“Normal” is business casual during the week, and I’ve been trying to upgrade my weekend wear as well to at least button-downs and jeans that fit properly.)

I tend toward business casual at work, the nature of which varies quite a lot depending on the weather (if it’s 40 below zero, I don’t wear a lot of dresses). Typically slacks, a blouse or more formal T-shirty thing under a cardigan, and if the weather is warmer, maybe a dress or skirt. I don’t do heels because of gimpy ankle, so I have to wear flat, supportive shoes, preferably ones that accommodate orthotics (typically Mary Janes or dress boots). Sometimes in summer I will wear flat sandals with good arch support.

I hate pantyhose with the fire of a thousand suns, but always wear earrings, my wedding ring, possibly a necklace. My hair and makeup routine takes about 5 minutes total, but I’d like to think I don’t look sloppy.

On weekends, or on days when I don’t have clients coming in, I’m more relaxed (jeans on Fridays, etc.) At home I tend toward jeans and a sweater if it’s cold, a T-shirt or more stylish embellished top if the weather is warmer. I don’t generally wear sweats outside the house (or gym), but if I’m not going out anywhere after work, my first deed on walking in the door is to change into jammies (the current ones are flannel with sheep on them) and a bathrobe. If anyone besides Tom Scud is around, I try to look somewhat more human. Luckily he likes me even when I’m wearing my flannel sheep jammies, or at least he hasn’t expressed any objections :slight_smile:

I’m always clean and well manicured. But I dress comfortably; think jeans and Hawaiian shirts. It’s not money, some of those shirts are pretty pricey. I have a pair of khakis for dress up occasions. About 5 years ago I donated every tie/suit/shiny shoe I owned to a thrift store. I’m happy.

ETA: I kept a few dress shirts for kayaking. I have a few buddies and we all wear dress shirts and kayak local rivers. High end dress shirts, tucked into swim trunks gets us some stares and whispers.

Until I’m successful enough to buy my own handmade Italian suit, I own two pairs of jeans and 3 or 4 shirts. Go big or go home, the middle ground is for chumps.

I have four pairs of identical stretchy jeans, six V-neck tee shirts, and one pair of Converse knock-offs. I have a funeral dress I haven’t worn since 1997. I have a pair of shorts I wear in the summer sometimes. My socks don’t always match perfectly but they’re all white so it’s close enough.
I brush my teeth and braid my hair every day.

That’s my style.

This. Like I said earlier in the thread, I’m a SAHM and my husband runs his own business out of the house. We both try to shower and get dressed every day, though. It’s a lot of togetherness and we want to keep on being attracted to each other.

I work at home, alone, so usually wear a t-shirt and gym shorts. When I go out, I may wear a better t-shirt (no food stains) and cargo pants, depending on the weather.

Either that or I’m wearing my tux.

I try, I really do, but for work, sometimes the best I can come up with is not inappropriate - meaning I am clean, there are no obvious holes or stains and my colours match, but I don’t look smart. Other days I try a little harder and pull together a nice outfit. I’ve hit the age where I have to wear sensible shoes or I suffer, so heels are out, but I am trying to find nice flats and wear something other than paddock boots to work

At home, sweats. t-shirts and fleece. I live alone and the dogs don’t care what I wear.

At work Mon. through Thur. I’m business casual - khaki pants, polo or button down shirt (tucked in), dress socks and polished loafers. Friday is jean day, so I wear nice jeans, same style shirt (still tucked in) and sneakers. At home it’s jeans and a t-shirt/polo, occasionally a button down shirt (untucked regardless of which style). Sneakers or boots if going out, sock feet if at home.

I had to wear a suit and tie the first 15 years of my career. I never got used to it. A tie is the most restrictive, least utilitarian piece of men’s clothing in existance. When I had to wear one I put in on in the parking lot just before entering the officce and took it off immediately after exiting for the day. I can almost see wearing a sport coat to be dressy, but a tie only when I have to (very rare these days).

I’m retired. Sometimes I spend the whole day in sweats if I’m not going out and I’m feeling lazy. But I do try to be presentable when I venture into public. I won’t wear slippers or sleepwear off the property. I try to avoid raggedy or stained garments, altho when working in the yard, all bets are off. I know how to dress for weddings and funerals and nice restaurants, but mostly we live a very casual, low-key lifestyle. So in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter how I dress.

I wear the same thing every day: jeans and a short sleeve button down shirt. In the summer I’ll wear khakis. Home, office, parties, hiking, it’s all the same outfit.