Do you have a library card? What electronic lending services does your library offer?

I belong to the city and county library systems. The only e-services I’ve taken advantage of is ebooks, which I download to my phone and read using the Overdrive app, which I prefer to the Libby app or phone Kindle app. I almost prefer ebooks to tree books now, since my phone is always at hand.

I also make use of my numerous siblings’ library system cards all across the country for ebooks when everyone in my city seems to be reading the same book at the same time.

Local library is tiny, but no issue.

We have an extensive inter-library system in Michigan and we can have almost any book or audio-book transferred to my local library. I do this all the time.

Electronic borrowing? I don’t use it, but they use Overdrive and lend out thousands of ebooks.

I prefer to borrow physical cds from the library, but they do have electronic lending as well. Previously, I did get some audiobooks as digital files, but they’ve changed it a bit from when I did it, it’s handled differently now. I’ve got one on hold, I’ll have to suss out how to do it when I get my turn in the queue.

EDIT: to answer the question, they have magazines, audiobooks and ebooks (in different formats for different ereaders and also generic epub format) that I know about.

Great idea! I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for the idea.

Nice! I’ll have to check to see if my library has any other perks. That’s a great one. Thanks for sharing it.

Yay! My library does Hoopla!

My local library used to subscribe to Overdrive, which I liked because I could download books to my e-ink Kindle. Now they subscribe to the 3M Cloud Library which is incompatible with the e-ink Kindle. I can still read books on my Fire tablet, but that’s harder on my eyes. Neither services offers a lot of titles that I’m actually interested in reading. Probably 80% of the books I borrow from the library are still physical printed books.

The Maine State Library offers a “digital library” called Marvel. Through them I can access Medline, some science journals, some electronic newspaper archives, and other online resources mostly from the comfort of my home. A few more services like Ancestry are available, but only if you’re using the library’s WiFi.

Yes, we have library cards and there is a branch of the Multnomah County library in our neighborhood. It also does ebooks, although we haven’t really delved into that yet.

Residents of DC and nearby VA and MD counties/cities can get cards for their local library system as well as neighboring ones. So I have two. I could have more. DC’s overdrive library is pretty good, and I use it frequently. Going to a physical library is out of my way since my last move.

Very cool thread! I hadn’t been to our local library in years, but started going again after a major renovation a few years back. I know they have options for checking out e-books, and I got a card for some kind of state e-book system that I have never used, so I should really take a look and see what options are available.

One thing our new library has that I have taken advantage of is free access to Lynda.com with my library ID. I have taken quite a few of their online training courses.

Oh nice! Now I’m envious. I’ve been reading a lot of good things about Lynda.com. I went to the local library’s website and didn’t see any mention of it.

But now that you remind me, maybe I’ll call and ask, or maybe ask at libraries in the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the reminder!

Yes, I have a library card.

I literally grew up in a library. My grandmother was the town librarian, and my parents would frequently drop us kids off for her to watch over. Add to that the fact that I grew up in a very small town and there really wasn’t much to do. So, hanging out at the library was a regular activity.

So for me, having a library card is paramount.

Where I live now is a large city with a grand downtown library and many city branches. I only occasionally visit a library now, but I have it on my list to become more involved when I retire.

Thanks to this thread, I looked and found out that my library system also has access to Lynda.com!

Other online class resources listed are Mango Languages (70 languages), Microsoft Imagine Academy (MS product training and certification), Sign Language training, LearningExpress Library (GED, GRE, SAT, AP prep, US citizenship, and more). Also genealogy research including Ancestry (as someone above noted, only available in the library itself). There are 2 genealogy librarians.

I knew about the free museum and zoo passes, but never remember to get them.

ZipperJJ brought up Hoopla and movies. Apparently, my city and county library systems also now offer streaming movies, via online video-streaming service Kanopy.

“Viewers can access more than 30,000 films in a dozen categories, including Sundance selections and Academy Award winners. There’s a limit of five titles per month and three days to watch each selection.”

I’ve checked out a couple of books using Overdrive (my wife uses it more frequently) and one time a magazine using a system I can’t remember (it looks like they use RBdigital now, but that wasn’t the system I used). My wife has watched a number of movies using Kanopy lately (library used to use Hoopla, I think).

I got a card everywhere I was on my 4 year road-trip. I even dropped off a way-overdue book in Little Rock on our travels, and the librarian assured me it would make it home.

I love our local library, knowledgeable people, stacks filled with interesting reads, timely periodicals and two couches to peruse all of the above.

My latest hangout is http://www.masoncounty.lib.mi.us/
Come on in as librarians rock.

The wife and I have individual cards. But if we forget the card, we have the library app on our phones. We can renew checkouts online. There are Internet computers there. Quite nice. The selection is not always that good, and never as good as a bookstore, either new or used, but we like to support them. Plus it’s nice having a library membership for free after having to pay about $100 a year for membership in a private library in Bangkok. (We had a card there too.)

I kept on using my childhood library card for at least a decade after I’d lost it, because by that time, I had the 13-digit number memorized (you had to type it in to make an ILL request, which was several times a week in my youth).

I go to the library so often that I once checked out a book without any ID on me. They do know me.

Yes, I have a Chicago Public Library card. They have hoopladigital (books, music, movies) and Overdrive (music and books only, I think). But I only use the digital services for stuff for which the library doesn’t have physical media.

It isn’t really free. Taxes pay for it. In Chicago, if you’re not a resident and want FULL library privileges, you’ll have to pay a little over $300/yr. Many suburbs have what I call reciprocal agreements with Chicago. Residents of many suburbs can sign up with the Chi. Public Library and borrow their books for no extra fee, and the same for Chicago resident and a suburb.