Do you have a problem with authority?

I spent my childhood being told I had a problem with authority, but a few years back I discovered what I actually have is a problem with lack of autoritas.
Let me explain: there are two concepts which in Roman law were different but which have become merged into a single word for many Western cultures. *Potestas *was the ability to make binding decisions, enter contracts, etc; autoritas was knowledge of a field. For example, an expert witness provides autoritas to assist a judge’s potestas over the people involved in a trial.

When someone who’s talking out of his ass gives an explanation which doesn’t make sense, the audience requests clarification, and their response is along the lines of “because I’m in charge!” they’re invoking their potestas to cover their lack of autoritas. I most definitely have a problem with that.

Taking instructions or orders from someone who does know what he’s talking about, OTOH, I have zero problem with.

You’re right, but being proud of such foibles is one of those ego-sparing devices people kid themselves about. Such people cast themselves as “strong-willed” rather than acknowledging they’re just a contrary pain in the ass, rebellious when they’re spoiled and selfish, prudent when they’re cowardly, etc. It’s how people live with themselves, though it frequently means being unable to live with others.

“To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.” Attributed to Albert Einstein, though, who knows.

if:

-you fly into a rage every time your boss tells you to do something, which results in chronic unemployment

-you become belligerent and refuse to leave a restaurant when asked to do so by the manager

-you turn a simple traffic stop into a physical confrontation because of your persistent refusal to cooperate with the officer

-you prolong your prison stay (or receive lots of solitary confinement) because of your persistent refusal to obey instructions from correctional officers

then yeah, I’d say it’s fair to call it a disorder. Lots of other psychological conditions are regarded as disorders when they are severe enough to prevent you from living a normal, fulfilling life.

Who the hell are you to ask?

Often problems with authority arise out of a sense of low self esteem .

Being asked to do something makes them feel demeaned , whereas a self confident person will carry out the instructions quite happily , and with no loss of self worth …

I have a problem with authority. I think it’s inefficient over the long term, inflexible, and (most significantly) unnecessary.

I admit it sometimes manifests in my attitudes and behaviors towards people in positions of authority, institutions, etc.

[Cartman]Respect my AUTHORITAH![/Cartman]

It sounds to me as though the perverse pride is itself a manifestation of the problem with authority. “No one’s gonna tell me how to feel about my problem with authority!”
Personally, I don’t have any particular problem with authority (in general). I’ve been fortunate that most of the authority figures in my own life (parents, teachers, supervisors, etc.) have been good ones.

What I mean by a good authority figure is one who is both benevolent and competent.

By benevolent I mean that they have my own best interests in mind, and the best interests of the group they are managing and its goals.

By competent I mean that they know what they are doing, and that they can and do perform their own fair share of the work. (Similar to Nava’s autoritas.)

Yeah, I have a problem with authority. Too many people assume it and then expect everyone to follow along without comment. It appears to be part of our makeup to look for and accept authority and to look down on anyone who questions that authority. A few people are willing to ask those who assume authority to demonstrate their right to that authority. Thank goodness they exist.

To answer the OPs question: You should be proud to challenge authority because authority needs to be challenged and most of the population isn’t willing to do that unpleasent task. When the TSA says “take off your shoes and walk around in your sock feet like an idiot” everyone does it without question, except for that one guy, the trouble maker who has to ask why. Everyone shoots him an evil look, I do too, but I think he is providing a public service in the long run.

Usually, when I’ve heard people ask “Do you have a problem with authority?” it is coming from someone that is upset that their authority isn’t being followed. I have no problem with legitimate, effective, and compassionate use of authority, but I do have a problem with another type.

For instance, I had been asked more or less this sort of question by a police officer on a few occasions and I did have a problem with them, because they wanted me to do things that they had no legal authority to do. That’s illegitimate authority, and quite frankly, EVERYONE should have a problem with it.

Similarly, some people who have legitimate authority, but don’t know how to weild it effectively. I will ultimately do what that person says if it’s legitimate authority, but I won’t do so without first providing my feedback on why I think it’s a poor choice and what I think a better option would be. As an engineer, I get these kinds of orders often from higher-ups who don’t have the technical knowledge to understand the constraints or problems those decisions create. I believe effective leadership entails more than just making decisions, but a responsibility to be as informed as reasonably possible.

The other thing that really irks me, perhaps even moreso than the others, perhaps because it is so widespread, is when people see authority as a means of control, superiority, a hierarchy or whatever. I may be obligated to still follow the authority who sees it that way, but it definitely bothers me and I have a problem with it. The way I see it, authority is no better and no worse, it is simply a role that someone fills. For instance, at work, as an engineer, my job is to evaluate a problem, come up with solutions, and evaluate them using various criteria and provide those to my boss, it is then their job to weight the evaluations and make a decision. Both roles are valuable, but the responsibility break down is different. I feel similarly about police officers, politicians, parents, whatever. Authority is a role of making decisions and enacting them, and sometimes that means expressing compassion and personal judgment, but it never means that one is superior to another.

I was a professor and yes I had a problem with authority. I got on well with all of my chairs but one. That one was a little twerp who was a high-ranked Brahmin and expected everyone to defer to him. But deans, ah that was another matter. They were mostly people who were incompetent as scholars and worked very hard to such up to the administration and eventually became deans. With all their incompetence. One reason I respected my chairs (who generally served for six years and then went back to their real jobs) was that they had to put up with the dean. I avoided ever being chair.

Yes. This is the kind of statement I hear too often from young people in the workplace. “Well, that’s just how I am.”

OK, how you are is going to keep you unemployed, my friend. Learning to deal with people who have authority, used correctly and consistently, and allowing their subordinates to question, comment or make suggestions, is a part of maturing.

I don’t have a problem at all with authority. And I tend to respect people who are in authority.

But I do have a problem with revering authority, whether the authority is a specific person, group of people, institution, or laws/policies. I trust these things only as far as I can throw them. I’ll go along with them, don’t get me wrong. But I never forget they are likely flawed and highly imperfect.

That’s pretty much me. And I would add that I find people who are automatically hostile to authority – I don’t mean simply questioning authority but rather having an automatic knee-jerk hostile reaction against it just for the sake of being belligerent – to be rather childish. Thailand’s full of farangs (Westerners) with tales of woe from back home about how The Man kept him down or took everything from him, but upon close inspection of their stories, they were themselves usually the root cause of any problem. And of course those same guys are always being “persecuted” by the authorities over here.

I think both of these ideas describe me fairly well. I don’t think I have a problem with authority; I don’t automatically follow blindly, but I don’t go out of my way to make my life more difficult by blindly rejecting it, either. Mostly I prefer it if authority and I just stay out of each other’s way.