Do you Know Where Brussel Sprouts Come From?

This bears repeating. In a thread that dealt mostly with What Type of Factory Makes Milk?

I think you’ll find it is “Miserable, fat, Belgian bastards!” And the title of the TV show was “Prejudice”.

We split them in half and cook them in bacon grease with onion, garlic and bacon. Mrs. Plant (v.3.0) likes them blackened; I do not.

I have seen them on the stalk at a Kroger in Little Rock, AR. I don’t recall if they were from Mexico or California.

Having grown my own brussels sprouts for years, I’m familiar with how the crop looks (though mine never looked quite as perfect as the ones in the OP’s photo).

If you want to try a real monster in the same family, grow giant walking stick cabbage a.k.a. Jersey cabbage.

Thanks for correcting that, and also for the name of the episode! Maybe I can find it and watch it again, I only saw it the once and it was a long time ago.

Hang on, they’re dopes for growing them, just like what you’re planning on doing? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

Trimming the tops is optional, and can depend on how you want to harvest.

If you’re intending to harvest the whole stalk at once, then removing the growing tip at the top is a good idea, because otherwise you’ll get sprouts of drastically different sizes when you harvest. If the stalk can’t add on any more, it’ll put more energy into sizing up the top ones, and they’ll become closer to the same size as the lower ones.

If you want to just break off some of the sprouts at the bottom when they’re big enough, and leave the rest on the stalk to grow, and you have a long enough growing season: then don’t top them, and the stalk will keep growing and adding more sprouts.

– Flavor in brussels sprouts is also affected by weather conditions before harvest. If there’s been frost, or very close to frost, the sprouts become sweeter: the plant is bringing up sugars as an antifreeze. Brussels sprouts are quite hardy, most varieties down into the teens F or even colder; though growth will slow at colder temperatures.

Yes, it means “My All-Great,” clearly a nod to the creator.

My Stay at Home Mom would prepare them frequently for dinner when I was kid in the 1960’s. I think in a pressure cooker. I like them as I liked most green veggies when I was kid. (I didn’t like orange veggies like carrots, rutabagas, and winter squash).

I think I have only Brussels Sprouts one time in the last 35 years. They were smothered in some sort of cheese sauce and it was delicious.

I just ate some, roasted with carrots, garlic salt, and olive oil.

I have grown them myself. They taste dreadful until the whole plant has been exposed to frost, and a hard freeze is better. In addition, the stalk never completely died off in that zone 6a garden. I’m guessing they were bred this way so our ancestors could have fresh vegetables for at least part of the winter.

Back in the day, when a musket wielder ran out of lead balls. he substituted Brussels sprouts. Very deadly.

error dupe

Pretty large caliber. Better used as grape shot.

Opinions differ on that. I’ve planted them out in spring and enjoyed fine brussels sprouts in late summer long before any frost. To me there’s no significant difference in taste compared to after frost/freeze, and by waiting to harvest in northern climates until after frost you wind up missing out on part of the season.

You know, spaghetti with sauce was unknown in Italy intil Marco Polo brought pasta from China and then Columbus brought tomatoes from America?

Amalfi was the first Italian maritime republic after Rome fell, an important power circa 840-1200 CE, a bit before Marco Polo (circa 1300). Much Arab-European trade moved through Amalfi, whichi also claims the magnetic compass. That trade introduced citrus (viva limoncello!) and paper- and pasta-making which used similar technologies. We can see old depictions of lines strung high above narrow streets with sheets of paper or pasta drying. Our guide in town said Amalfi’s pasta production started before 1200. But Horace wrote of Roman sheet pasta in the 1st century CE and lasagna dates from at least 400 so it far predates Marco Polo. Amalfi just learned a good production method from Arabs.

Maybe Columbus took tomatoes to Europe, or maybe Cortés was first, (cite), but marinara sauce definitely had to wait for the Spanish culinary appropriation. Till then pasta-eaters had to be satisfied topping their portions with meats, cheeses, spices, and whatever sauce could be cobbled together. The magic of marinara struck later.

We planted them in our garden a few years ago and forgot about them until time to clear for winter. We were shocked to see a whole stalk of them! We had no idea what we should have been looking for, so we ignored it. The stragglers were quite delicious!

Correct. They’re from the same place as waffles.