Do you like/listen to music in languages you don't speak?

I’m perfectly happy to listen to songs in languages I don’t understand.

Even when a song is in English, I rarely pay attention to the lyrics. This isn’t a conscious decision, just how I hear music.

I more or less hear a voice in a song as an instrument. So if the the voice is good, I don’t give a damn about the lyrical content.

I have several songs in Spanish, one song in 3 or 4 different languages (theme of Cirque du Soleil’s “Alegria”), and the infamous "Dragostea Din Tei."I also have 3 or 4 different Putumayo compilation CDs with songs in French, Creole, Hindi and various African languages.

The song I want, but can’t find online, is the latest Naruto Shippuuden ending theme,“Long Kiss Goodbye” by Halcali.

Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, French, Italian. The last two are opera, though.

Most of my favorite songs, I can’t even tell what language they’re in. Usually somebody laying down some Farsi or Portuguese on top of a deep psytrance groove. I like vocals, but I find most music lyrics are either superficial or overdone. When it’s a foreign language it works out best for everybody. Classic example: internacional by Brazilian Girls.

I have a few bands I love, that sing in languages that I don’t speak. When musicianship, melody, and beat are superb, then lyrical content doesn’t necessarily become critical to music enjoyment. Hell, most grunge and punk acts are indecipherable in English, and I love them anyway.

Some of my faves:

Nena (German) – Love her voice, and her song structure is superb. I understand passable german though, so I get a bit of the lyrical content also

Puffy Ami Yumi (Japanese) – Infectious guitar powerpop, I love them

Hendinggarna (Norwegian) – Excellent electronica/synthpop/worldbeat stuff. Great music.

I have a lot of Celtic folk songs in Gaelic. I also play djembe and have amassed a collection of African drum and chant stuff. The new beau likes listening to techno on some Israeli Internet channel, so I hear a lot of that and like it. I, too, consider the human voice to be an instrument, so not being able to sing along doesn’t bother me.

I listen to some, generally a sample spread out over most languages folks here have already mentioned. Most of my favorites arise through internet memes because I’m a pop/internet culture junkie. Dragostea din Tei, Moskau, and Tunak Tunak Tun especially.

And because I like throwing it out whenever the opportunity arises, Jackie Chan singing Mulan’s “I’ll Make A Man Out Of You” in Mandarin. Just excellent.

I listen to many, many operas and operettas in languages I don’t speak. Actually, I consider English to be not the best language for these; it just doesn’t sound as melodic as French or, especially, Italian.

Sure, I’m more music-and-sound driven than lyrics driven. In some cases I know enough of the language to get the gist of what’s being said; other times I have no idea and just go for the feel of it. Once in a while I look up some lyrics and if they’re particularly pretty or poignant, it’s like a big ol’ bonus.

I have quite a bit of Gaelic along with bits of Italian, German, Romanian, Finnish, Hungarian, Swedish, French, Japanese, Spanish and Hebrew.

Some of it was introduced to me by friends who suggested I might like it and offered translations for certain songs, others I stumbled across here or other places. Whatever sounds good to me is what I have in my collection, and songs can evoke emotions that cross language barriers. I can get the gist even if I don’t know exactly what they are saying.

Them being in other languages never stopped me from singing along either…

Apart from English, my list of about 650 all-time favourite songs has the following languages:

• Dutch (my mother tongue)
  • German (which I am fluent in)
  • French (which I can understand)
    but also the following languages I do not understand:
    Mandarin
    Italian
    Portuguese
    Japanese
    Spanish
    Polish
    Sanskrite

In my collection I also have songs in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Icelandic, Finnish, Russian, Hungarian, Greek, Cantonese, Gaelic, Welsh - and I’m probably forgetting a few now.

Attaque 77 is a awesome, fun Argentinian band.
Rahmstein (rammstein?) is a good German band I listen to a lot.

Sure. Languages from all over the world.

I love bad international pop- from Tatu to Bollywood hits to (my one and only true love) Coupe Decale. My music selection has a lot of music from all over.

I hate world music though. It makes me want to go to sleep. Bring on the pop music!

Ok, can we get thoughts from anyone who does *not *enjoy music in other languages?

And even sven, I agree about most world music, but the problem with it is that the category is so broad—basically anything that’s not 'Merica or our Euro buddies. Put me down for the pop music, too, though! Guilty pleasure is the only pleasure I have on my iPod. :stuck_out_tongue:

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

Most of the music I listen to is in a language I don’t speak, but that’s a natural consequence of being an opera fanatic.

Cafe Society sure does move fast.

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

Of the 12,000 tunes in my Rhapsody library, there is a significant amount of Salsa by far too many groups to mention - don’t speak Spanish but love the brass sections. Also have some latin pop & Tejano. Brazilian BossaNova Whatever language is is that the Gipsy Kings sing in, African Jazz (Richard Bona), French (Edith Piaf)

Music is, after all, the universal language

Yes, I adore music in other languages. Each language has its own musical qualities – different phonemes, different rhythms.

There is constantly a debate (in the US, at least) over opera in English vs. opera in the original language. I’ll take the original language any day. The whole musical palette changes when you change the language. I find it astonishing that people who are otherwise very musically perceptive, who can otherwise hear and appreciate the tiniest nuances in timbre, seem to just shrug off this essential aspect of vocal sound in order to get something in translation.

Besides, it’s not like you can actually understand what opera singers are saying, even if it is in English. (Just kidding… well, no, not really.)

I have a lot of music in other languages, as well as no language, as mentioned earlier. Dead Can Dance, for example, have a lot of songs where Lisa Gerrard is just making shit up, and it sounds awesome.

Most of the non-English stuff I have is French or Latin, I would say.