Do you like print books?

That’s good news.

And that is what I like about bookstores. Especially used bookstores with lots of OLD stuff.

I’m not at the point of never buying a paper book again, but the days of bringing half a dozen books home every couple of weeks are over for me.

Unfortunately, here you run into the issue that even today’s text recognition software is not glitch-free.

Some of the e-books I have read recently are ones I first read back in the pre-e-book era. Some of these have numerous text-recognition glitches (reading an i as an l, or in as m, or even not recognizing a character at all and inserting a nonsense character.

If the work is all done by robots, there’s no-one to correct these mistakes, which is a time-consuming (and thus costly) process.

I read lots of e-books. I still like print books, especially for reference work.

You are absolutely right, of course; I was only thinking of the work scanning them. Projects like Gutenberg, Wikisource and some others rely on multitudes of volunteer proofreaders, and in the worst case slightly garbled but still searchable text, in conjunction with images of the original pages, is better than nothing. One also hopes automatic OCR will get better eventually.

Try moving intercontinentally. I donated my library to the private library in Bangkok we subscribed to. And yes, I had read every book in it.

Every time I see this thread title I hear "I like print books and I cannot lie, you other readers can’t deny, when a guy walks by with glasses on his head and a novel that’s half read… "

I know the feeling. If I did that, and I’m tempted, I’d have to live to 110 to finish all my books instead of the 105 I have to live to now.
There are a few used bookstores around here I have to keep myself from going to.
I have no problem avoiding alcohol or drugs but books are another matter.

I like print books. I read more on my tablet these days, so when I have a have an actual tree-book in my hands, I often try to swipe to turn the page.

In fact, a Canadian friend back in Bangkok kept trying to convince me e-readers were better. But he kept breaking his. Stepped or sat on them. He went through at least four in the few years I knew him. I pointed out to him I could step or sit on my dead-tree books all I wanted and still read them.

Bingo. One of my most treasured books is a first-edition, signed-by-the author-with-marginalia-by-the-author, book of poems by Dorothy Parker. If anybody sits or steps on it, I might not like it, but the book would be still readable and valuable.

If someone broke my kindle, the books I have on it are still readable and valuable. The kindle is fungible. It is a computer; it is not a book.

And I’ve had my kindle for four years. I read it every day. Hundreds of books a year. They are not particularly fragile.

Right, and if an e-reader breaks, is stolen, lost, or otherwise rendered unusable, the content you have purchased will be restored at no cost when the device is replaced. If your paper books are lost, stolen, or destroyed, singly or en masse, you have to buy them all over again.

Okay, here is one point where paper books have it all over e-books. Even if there were a way for author to e-sign e-books, I don’t think they would ever have the same cachet as an autographed first edition. (I own nearly 100 autographed books, many of which are firsts.)

I quoted this in full because I just went through the exact same nightmare. I am still surrounded with unpacked bins full of books (and DVDs) because the five full book cases I installed were not enough.

ETA: I am so shell shocked from my move that I forgot I already posted earlier in this thread. :slight_smile:

I can’t find it now, but I found an article that reports about at least one study that shows that readers retain more content from book than a screen. You get physical cues from holding a book, such as whether a particular part was at the beginning, middle, or end of the book. You can also recall which side the page was, and where on the page the part was-which you can get from a screen if the pages don’t scroll.

I don’t care to buy books. That might come from not appreciating my mother’s thousands of paperback bodice-rippers, or because I usually read mysteries and rarely want to read them twice. We also frequently don’t have room in the budget for books, so the library is the way we get books. I have a Kindle, and because the local library is…not optimal, I read ebooks more often than paper books.

Yes, yes I do. My apartment has two bedrooms, and one is full of bookcases.

I still have hundreds (thousands?) of paper books, and still acquire and read them. But given the choice, I’ll always pick the Kindle. It is more comfortable than any paperback and can travel with me anywhere. I have no particular nostalgia for paper. Pure backlit displays like tablets are garbage for reading, but the Paperwhite is awesome; better than a paperback, since I can dial in the brightness to feel natural and just still be a tad brighter than I can get from room light.

In our garage we have 63 unpacked boxes of books, DVDs, and CDs, and 13 bookcases totaling almost 120 linear feet of shelf space. Coincidentally, today Ikea will deliver four new bookcases with 53 linear feet of shelves for our family room. (We needed new ones because the old ones are the wrong color, and Billys are inexpensive.) This will allow us to unpack about one quarter of our books. The rest will languish in the garage until we finish the basement, hopefully sometime in the next six months.

That parable hits a little uncomfortably close to home for me if I mentally substitute “books” for “grain” and “bookshelves” for “barns.”

We now have a hurricane bearing down on us. Electricity may be out, with no way to charge devices. My trusty dead-tree books don’t need charging.

You and the blind.