Do you like Rye Whiskey?

Too many childhood incidents of grabbing a cup off the table thinking it had just coke in it and finding out it was rye and coke have turned me off of it.

I still get a little feeling of nostalgia whenever I see a bottle of Golden Wedding though.

I love rye! Manhattan’s are supposed to be made with rye. The Black Maple Hill 23 year old silenus mentions is the finest whiskey I’ve ever had in my life. But it’s too good to mix in a Manhattan. In addition to Russell’s, try High West or Michter’s, both very good and affordable.

Old Overcoat isn’t bad for the price, better than Jim Beam. Russell’s Reserve is ok, but too pricey for the quality. Right now I have a bottle of Ri, very nice, a little spicy and great with a dash of bitters.

Dressed in black
tossing back
A shot of rye.
Finding things to do in Denver
When you die

-Warren Zevon

Once I asked if I could have a drink of my uncle’s ice water. I took a drink, only to discover that it wasn’t water, but vodka. Everyone thought it was funny, though.

I like Redemption Rye, they also make a bourbon rye that I have yet to taste.

Yes. I’ve not tried it in a Manhattan, but I’ve consumed it both neat on on rocks, and I’d go rocks with this one.

Really? I tried to love it, but I don’t. I don’t want to hastily conclude that I may not like Rye, because my experiences have been limited to the major brands, and some bottom shelf crap. I wish I could find some of The Good Stuff around, so that I can give it a fair shake.

It doesn’t taste that different to me than their bourbon. I figure they went right up to the 51% rye constitution requred by law to call itself rye and the rest is bourbon. Of course, that it’s to say the stuff is bad.

Most Canadian whisky is Rye. When I was growing up grownups always had a bottle of Rye in the house for drinks, and if you wanted something other than beer or rye you must be a sissy or a pinko communist.

Then the 80s happened and vodka became sort of normal.

Rye and ginger is total nostalgia for me. It is also my drink of choice if I am in the mood to drink excessively, become blotto, and not sick the next day. (I did not say no hangover, but I did say not sick) A friend of mine said “ooh thats a total hard core drinkers drink”

Gibsons is good. I like 40 Creek Whisky but not all of it is rye, there are blends. Wisers or Canadian Club was what my family and their friends usually had around, back in the day.

Canadaian whiskys are a good bit different than American ryes. The biggest difference is that by law in the US, a rye whisky is one in which rye is at least 51% of the mash bill. Most Canadian whiskys have a far lower rye content in them–I can’t find definitive exact numbers, but there’s no law governing how much rye a Canadian whisky must have, and Wikipedia claims the content of major brands is as low as 10%.

Here’s one cite:

The key idea there was for the price. I imagine you wouldn’t even mix similarly priced booze.

Sazerac and Jim Beam Rye are mighty tasty. I drink Scotch more these days, but I love a good rye.

Sazerac is an excellent rye. Makes a great Manhattan, too.

Hah. That wasn’t Rye Whiskey, that was a liqueur called “Rock and Rye” which is sweet and usually contains whole fruit as well as some chunks of rock candy (sugar). This was very popular years ago but has fallen out of favor. Well deserved, imho.

A vote for Old Potrero, and pretty much anything else that Anchor Distilling makes.

+1

I came in to mention Old Potrero and was beat to the punch. Though, come to think of it, I’m not really sure where to get it in a store.

You are some cranky old guys. I’ve been drinking Old Overholt bonded since I was 18 and I can’t tell the difference between that and the yellow label Jim Beam (IIRC that’s the rye).

I actually bought bartending school at the International Bartending Academy up on 7th Ave in NYC, and they never let us taste any ryes.

Now I’m curious. Doper hang at my apt in PDX, females who are spayed are welcome.

It’s a regional thing. Manhattan were originally made with rye whiskey. But in the south and the west rye ain’t it.

I put Old Overholt and Jim Beam rye on about the same level, with a slight advantage to Old Overholt. It seems like every month there is a new small batch rye out there, so much drinking to do, I might just have to quit my job.

Think of Redemption Bourbon as the hot 16-year old babysitter. Nice packaging, but if you touch it you will pay dearly because of its age.

The stuff is way too young, so it shows its corn likker roots too much.