Do You Pay for Your News?

Me too. But I’m in the UK, so strictly my answer to the OP’s question is Yes, as I pay the TV licence fee. But as I don’t buy (or read) a newspaper, I answered No.

j

I get the print NYT delivered, and I am glad to pay for their important journalism. I get the Sunday edition of the local paper, whose national articles are mostly reprinted from the Times.
At this point supporting the truth is a patriotic obligation.

Yes,I subscribe to the digital edition of the New York Times. I also get the local newspaper delivered every day, for several reasons:

1. It’s the only source of local news, pathetic as it is.

2. I can actually read the physical newspaper faster than the online paper. I’m a fast reader, and I can typically read three stories in the time it takes one to download. I skip a lot of irrelevant stuff.

3. Relatedly, by seeing entire stories all at once, it’s easier to see if I’m interested in them. Online, all you see is the headline until you click to download the story.

4. I can’t do the crossword online. I need to do it with pencil on paper.

We subscribe to our local newspaper which also comes with an online edition. While it’s handy when travelling I still far prefer the hard copy for reading like previous posters have stated.

Hell No!

It’s always been free. I grew up watching Walter Cronkite and my local news. For Free!!!

My parents occasionally got newspaper subscriptions. We rarely read anything but the front page and comics. Dad would end the subscription after a few months.

I had a Sunday subscription for awhile. Most of the sections never got read and I cancelled.

I answered no to the poll because I don’t subscribe to any newspapers, either in print or online, and I never have. However, my primary source of news is NPR, and I do contribute to my local station every year. So in a sense I do (voluntarily) pay for my news, but there wasn’t an option in the poll for that particular scenario.

This pretty much me.

I used to love reading the Sunday L.A. Times. I read just about everything but the classifieds.

I get most of my news here. :slight_smile:

But I do pay for a subscription to the New York Times, Washington Post, and my local paper-- all online. Why? Because I support these organizations and I believe in paying for a service I use and value. (I also donate to the SDMB for that reason.)

Ditto and I voted no too because me buying 8 Sunday papers a year probably isn’t helping the newspaper business much.

I buy a semi-local daily paper and a local weekly. Both do some actual reporting and ain’t nobody else gonna do any local reporting in this area. I buy them in hardcopy because I find them easier and faster to read that way, and because I’ve got multiple uses for old newspaper.

Neither of them has much national news (the weekly generally doesn’t have any) so I get most of that online, or sometimes on radio. I really ought to pay my NPR subscription, it’s lapsed.

If there were one single other news source I wanted to read, or if several that I wanted to read had a cheap just-a-few-articles-and-no-apps version, there are several I might pay for; but I can’t afford to pay 100+ annually for each of them.

Over the air news is still free. Newspapers still charge for subscriptions. What has changed?

No.

We have birdcages, but purchase material for their pans, which is cheaper than subscribing to a paper.

If I find myself becoming a frequent reader of a news site, I support it. They can’t do this for free. I tend to look for the el cheapo subscription deals, since I don’t tend to rely overwhelmingly on any one news source. But I’m supporting journalism in a number of places, not just the NYT and the WaPo, but also places like the Daily Beast and TPM.

Uh, news sites are going behind pay walls?

Advertising pays for news reporting. I shouldn’t have too.

To.

We subscribe to the Washington Post, NY Times, The Atlantic, Foreign Affairs, and make a monthly contribution to Pro Publication.

I’m not sure what this word salad has to do with what I said about over the air television and newspaper subscriptions. But to address what I think you’re trying to say about internet news services, obviously advertising doesn’t pay for it so they have to become subscription based. As you might recall, delivered newspapers for which you paid for a subscription also had advertising.

It still cling to my local daily newspaper that I’ve read for 45 years, since I could read. Although my budget is very limited and it’s not cheap, I’m still subscribing. It has a good mix of global, national and local news and all in all is a good read, and I simply can’t survive without my morning paper, in this regard I’m still old-fashioned. But it’s the only printed source of information left, I used to read a ton of magazines until 20 years ago or so, I got most of my info since then online. But you can pry my printed Westfalenpost from my cold dead hands.

This is remarkable. We Dopers are better-read than most, yet few of us are willing to pay for the news. As for myself, I pay for the Kindle Failing New York Times, The Economist, and the dead-tree Bucks County Herald. Dollar-for-dollar, the Times is your best deal for reading material.