we put up a wood fence with boards alternating on each side of the horizontal 2X4 runners between posts It allows the wind to pass through but gives us privacy . Chain link looks industrial and is really only to contain dogs. BTW our codes only allow for 6 foot height.
Yeah. When somebody upthread said 4 foot chain link keeps dogs in, I wondered what sort of worthless little dogs they had experience with. That’s not going to slow down an energetic motivated dog of any size.
My parents had a chain link fence put in back in the 60s, probably five feet high. They also had yellow and white alternating metal slats in the chain link, which pretty much took away the industrial look of it.
Chain link. I grew up with it and it provides a nice sense of space.
If more privacy is needed, I would add a hedge. My family had one of Chinese elm.
The stainless steel is not just Flushing - it’s all through Queens now.
There really isn’t one type of fence that’s ubiquitous in my neighborhood. When we moved here almost 40 years ago, it was all 4 foot high chain link, If it was up to me, it would have stayed that way .Over time, people ended up replacing them with everything else you can think of - wood,plastic,stainless steel , or in a couple of cases corrogated plastic or wooden fences attached to the chain link. I got a new vinyl fence this year, on one side of my yard because two of my neighbors switched to vinyl and i was tired of the non-matching fences. . Only thing good about the vinyl is that seems the raccoons and possums can’t climb it so they stay out of my yard. ( and don’t ask me how they are an issue in NYC)
Chain link isn’t privacy fencing, though, is it? It’s security fencing. For security I’d prefer chain link because it tends to stay secure for more years. For privacy, though, chain link does nothing; people can look right through it.
8 ft fencing would feel too high to me. That would feel claustrophobic. 6 ft is more normal and what I would prefer. That height blocks sight vision into the next yard but wouldn’t feel towering over me. I personally prefer privacy fencing on any side that faces a neighbor’s yard. I’d rather look at a 6’ wooden fence than look into their yard. And I’d like the privacy for myself when I’m in my yard without having the feeling that my neighbor is looking at me.
Milwaukee notably has no fences. All the yards run together, and kids run all through them. I could never live like that.
Mesa AZ loves cinderblock fences. We have a 7 foot stuccoed block wall all around the yard. I love it. Great privacy, the dogs are safe, and random noise is cut way back (except for the fact we are on the approach path to Sky harbor. Oh well!)
Now I could see people not used to it thinking they were living in a prison. But I wouldn’t have anything else. Houses here that are on bike paths tend to have iron fences. I’d feel I was living in a zoo cage, for all the bikers to stare at.
Uniformity is a feature of new construction while it’s still new (enough). And to some degree, a product of HOAs.
40 years on I’d expect a lot more variety in any neighborhood. If for no other reason that fashions change, the relative prices of different materials change, new materials are invented, and societal expectations change.
4’ chain link isn’t keeping dogs in or anyone out.
I have seven foot, wooden plank, full privacy, fencing on all sides. It would absolutely be my choice, however, these are all my neighbour’s fences! Hasn’t cost me a penny, in over 25yrs.
Neither is 8’ chain link. All chain link fences have convenient hand holds for climbing.
That’s why you have barbed wire at the top of your fence. The towers at the corners with armed security guards and spotlights help as well.
We have chain link on two sides and wood privacy fence on the third. The chain link is 42" and has kept in every dog we’ve had except one (That’s about 7 owned and 15 visitors. The exception was a runaway we found. It hopped the fence twice while we waited for the owners to return our phone call.)
Before installation 30 years ago I painted all the poles, rails and hardware gray-green. The chain mesh is coated with green vinyl. The whole fence pretty much disappears into the greenery behind it.
I did skip top rail along the back (the section most visible from the deck) and reinforced it with rails about 2 ft above the ground. It needed that reinforcement to keep the poles vertical.
The neighbors installed the privacy fence when they put in their hot tub. They did commit the zoning sin of putting the slats facing their yard and the posts facing our yard. Shrug. I asked if I could add slats on my side as well, and now the fence is finished on both sides.
I’ve kept medium size dogs in my backyard with standard chain link. My home is a ranch style built in 1959.
My last one was a Spaniel mix. She could have easily dug under the fence or climbed over.
Thankfully she was content in my backyard. I had her for seven years. She already had heartworms when I got her from the Human Society.
Some dogs like to roam and it can be very difficult for any fence to stop them
I would never chain up a dog or use a wired kennel.
If they are determined to run off. Fine. I’ll adopt another stray that appreciates regular meals and petting.
The last time we had our fence replaced, I asked the fencing contractor about doing this, and he discouraged it. He told me that water is the enemy of wood, and when you finish both sides, you create a box from which water would not evaporate quickly. Rainwater would get in easily, but the bottom rail would be wet a lot longer because of the reduced airflow. That rail would rot out in about half the time it normally would. We agreed with our neighbor to have alternating panels along the shared fence, instead.