Do you still have the same religion that your parents did?

I didn’t rebel, although we’re different denominations. My rebellion (very mild) took other forms. They’re happy I’m Catholic, I’m happy that they go to a good church. We’re all content.

I do miss Anglican music, though.

My mother was Catholic, and my father was a Baptist deacon. Since my father didn’t take an active role in my upbringing, I was raised Catholic. I went to non-demoninational Christian elementary schools and an all-boys Catholic high school.

Unfortunate/fortunately, my high school was run by Jesuits, who taught me that you shouldn’t accept religion just beccause someone shoves it at you; rather, you should think for yourself and figure out what makes sense to you. Being allowed to actually contemplate my own religious beliefs was a new experience to me, and consequently, I found that Catholicism just didn’t make any sense.

After wandering aimlessly for many years since then, I’ve decided that I’m sort of an agnostic/deist (a friend pointed out to me just last night that my beliefs are more deist than agnostic – I’m still absorbing that one).

I was raised Russian orthodox as both mom and dad are practicing. However after a long and rather convoluted trip through a lot of religious exploration, I found myself an atheist and I’m much the happier for it.

Do I go to an actual church for anything other than weddings and funerals? Unlike my parents, no. I averaged probably 75 times a year by the time I was 18 and got my fill.

Is my belief in a higher power, my outlook on life, what I value, and what I think are right and wrong still essentially the same as that of the religion in which I grew up? You betcha. While my parents are Episcopalian, my religious views are probably more in line with the Quakers, but in the big picture that’s splitting hairs. I don’t know exactly what I believe, and I think that’s a good thing. An overly-high level of organization in religion leads to dogma and certainty and sectarianism, and that has never gone well.