Do you still use a landline?

I have a general dislike of mobile phones, so do not have one. I still use a landline, though to be honest I rarely use even that. I guess I rely on email as my primary means of communication.

Landline bundled with Internet, but I’d have one even if it weren’t part of the Internet package. I have yet to live in an apartment that got decent cell phone reception. Besides, I like having a number with a local area code, and I don’t particularly want to switch over the cell phone because lots of people already know the old number.

I’m 33.

I’m 41, and for the reasons listed above, I still have a land line. Mostly because if I need to make a call, I want to know that the call will go through. I can call 911 or order a pizza and not have to worry about crappy reception. Also, as was said, the land line is way more comfortable. If I could find one of those Zach Morris style cell phones that got good reception, I would consider going cell phone only.

SSG Schwartz

Yes
No
It also supplies internet.

I hate phones and use them rarely.

I am mid-40s. I still have a landline at home because the idea of not having one seems foolish. Not only that, but I always have one extension in the house that does not have to be plugged in to electricity.

I’m 30 and I have a landline and a cell phone.

My main reason for the landline is that I have a home business and I need to be able to fax. I also prefer the shape/size of landline phones to cell phones. I like having more than one handset in the house. I like knowing I can call 911 and they’ll know where I am. I like having a phone number I can give to businesses and if that number gets sold, or the business wants to solicit me, I at least don’t have to deal with their calls when I’m not at home.

Landlines seem more expensive than they should be. It costs me $20/mo more than my cell! But I keep the landline as a business expense, so I don’t fret about it too much.

I’m 47 and still have a landline (actually, VOIP). In fact, it also supplies internet and TV service (AT&T U-verse).

I have one landline and one cell. I use the landline whenever I’m at home and for DSL. I hate cell phones. Inevitably, there are still times when the voice would cut off a little in the middle of a conversation, even when there are supposedly good reception. I wouldn’t ditch my landline until technology has advanced to the point where it is impossible for me to tell the difference in quality between landline and cell phone. I’m 31.

I have a landline, but only because I need it for my DSL connection. I have the cheapest plan possible. I only have one phone in the house. I keep it on silent and never use it.

When I give out my phone number, I never give my landline number, and always supply my cell phone number. I use my cell phone for all of my phone communication. I’m 29.

27 year old female with both a cell and a land line. I hate cell phones in general and only have one for work. I have a basic cell package that has free incoming calls. This works great for me because I never call anyone it is there for the sole purpose of people calling me. The downside is I never hear my cell ring and I misplace it all the time so even then it’s better to try me at home. The people at work don’t seem to understand that though.

I don’t like long cell phone conversations and would much prefer to talk on my land line.

Don’t get me started on texting… That is the work of the devil.

Oh and get off my lawn!

Yep, I don’t get it. The cell phone sucks compared to a land line. It’s good for calling in an artillery attack at 11999178n and 23124344w. But that is about it.

You can’t visit on a cell phone. You can give basic info. But you can’t just talk to someone.

OTOH, I love my Storm. It’s a PDA. A GPS and I can email from it. As a phone. It sucks. So does the iPhone.

Hello, What? Are you there? I think that the younger generation has become used to this BS dance, and I refuse to comply. How many remember the clear reception of an old phone?

Therefore I have my Storm as a PDA and phone away from home. And for now will keep my land line which I can actually converse with people.

When I talk on a phone, I expect to be able to hear those that I talk to. And be able to reply.

Yeah. I’ve got issues with cell phones.

50, landline, DSL, and cell phone. I have low hours on the cell phone which I use for long distance and emergencies. The functionality of the landline is DSL and unlimited local calling. I don’t talk much on the cell phone as I consider it an intrusion. It’s a tool to use as needed. I have little use for texting (maybe 10 a year) and no interest in twittering my day away. For the life of me I don’t understand why people congregate in groups and then independently spend time communication with people who are not in the group. It is the height of rudeness. If I’m with people and my phone rings I hit a button to silence the ring and let it go to voice mail.

I don’t have cable because the few channels I would be willing to pay for are also on the internet and I expect this trend to continue.

We dropped our landline almost two years ago and haven’t missed it at all. It was actually cheaper for us to drop the landline (which was running around $50 per month) and add internet service to our cable bill. We figured out we were only using the landline for internet access anyway, so why bother.
The cell reception in our area is generally very good so the service quality is usually okay. I also use my cell phone for work. My employer will either supply us with a cell phone or give us a monthly allowance on our paycheck for using our personal cell and I take the allowance. It’s so convenient only having one number, and since I’m on the road a lot anyone needing to reach me calls my cell phone anyway.
By the way, as to the 911 concerns. I’ve been told by several people who work for the local E-911 center that even a landline that’s been “disconnected” by the phone company will make a 911 call and provide them with address information so I keep one phone plugged into my landline jack just for emergencies.

I still have my landline, even though the only people who still call me on it are bill collectors and marketers. I’ve thought about why I keep it, and I think it basically comes down to sentimentality. My phone number has been the same for years! It’s mine, dammit, and I don’t want anyone else to have it!

Sounds silly. I will need to seriously reconsider my position.

Oh, and I’m 41.

I’m 36. We have a landline and a prepaid cell phone that I keep in the car for emergencies. For years, I worked for a cell phone company and I freaking hate them. I have never had a cell phone that was comfortable to hold or that had really good sound quality. Also, I don’t want people to think I’m available 24/7. Finally, I have little kids and I think it’s safer to have the 911 locating technology working for us if I’m ever lying on the floor unconscious and my 3 year old has to give them a call.

My home office has a business land line for the sole purpose of being in the phone book (remember those?) It re-directs to my cell, which essentially adds a 1-ring delay on all my calls.

I want the company to dump the line and have my cell switched directly to that number,
but they can’t believe a company would be considered “professional” without a phonebook business listing for every branch.

We have a landline. My wife wants it for her fax machine. We also have ATT Internet. I would dump it in a minute.

Landline only. None of us has a cell.
I’m pretty old, daughter is 21, and SHE doesn’t want a cell.
I HATE talking on the phone and use an answering machine to screen my calls. Nothing good ever seems to come over MY phone!

Question - if landlines disappear, what’s going to happen to phone books? I suppose they’ll just be listings for businesses and if we want to look up neighbor Joe’s new number, we’ll be shit out of luck?

For those keeping landlines solely to maintain a long-used or favored phone number, and who would find cell service more convenient, why not transfer the number over? As long as you’re not on a pay-as-you-go plan, most cell service providers should be able to take on your number.

Yup, our home phone is a landline (though the phones are all cordless scattered throughout the house).