Do You Think The White House Has (or ever has had) Vermin?

Common sense says that it has and probably still does. How could it not? Have you ever lived anywhere where you didn’t at least see an occasional spider?

I imagine they have a pest company come in and treat the place on a regular basis, or maybe the military or the Parks Department have a pest control unit of some sort.

Doesn’t the CIA or NSA regularly sweep the place for bugs?

Come to that, I’m not sure why the thread is in IMHO to begin with. It’s a question with factual answers available, more suitable to GQ.

Win.

Incumbent: larry
:confused::dubious::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

heavens, yes, there were reports of rats in the pool area before it was covered over.

being south of the mason dixon i would bet on it having serious bugs as well. i’m sure there is extermination and careful checking for termites.

Wasn’t the whole town famously built on a malarial swamp?

I recently read “Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President” and the descriptions of the condition on the White House at this time were pretty unpleasant- drafty, damp, moldy, vermin infested, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Destiny-Republic-Madness-Medicine-President/dp/0385526261

I really enjoyed this book. It was a great mix of history, medicine and politics. When my sis gave me the book, I thought “That’s a boring title. Probably won’t like it.” But it was a great read that I recommended to many.

Paul Slansky’s book about the Reagan '80s, The Clothes Have No Emperor, quotes Nancy Reagan’s chief of staff complaining about having to have mousetraps in his office in January 1981.

District. And yes.

That explains what Larry was doing. But what was Ed’s job?

Presidents, by definition, are not vermin.

I’m thinking Bob Haldeman, John Ehrlichman, Jody Powell, Oliver North, George Stephanopolis, etc.

Whose dictionary is that in? :confused:

Quite right-in fact, President Truman, his wife and daughter lived in Blair House while the WH was under renovation. This leads to another question: Jackie Kennedy spend a vast amount of taxpayer money renovating/redecorating the WH in 1960-61. Why was that necessary (in view of the Truman era reconstruction)?

1961-63 actually. There’s a good piece on that here.

“The city of Washington was built on a stagnant swamp some 200 years ago, and very little has changed. It stank then, and it stinks now.”

-Lisa Simpson