Do you try to 'keep up with the Joneses'?

What’s the opposite of keeping up with the Joneses? Getting down with the Joneses? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, that’s the direction I tend toward. “Wow, that’s a lovely necklace!” “Thanks! It’s cheap shit from Stein Mart!” “I love your jacket!” “Thanks! I got it for $4 at a resale shop.”

I would definitely let the Joneses know if I found a Rolex at Goodwill.

No. I don’t pay much attached to what my neighbors own.

I buy nice things because I like using nice things. Except when I don’t, and then I don’t buy nice things because I’m not trying to keep up with anyone.

I bought a new car last year because I told myself I would when my last car reached ten years old, not because I wanted to impress the Joneses. I chose the car I did because it was one of the few available with a manual transmission and good horsepower, not because it would impress the Joneses.

I bought a 65" plasma TV several years ago. It’s great for movies; I haven’t been to the cinema since 2005. Only one of my neighbors even knows about it, and that’s only because we had them over for dinner last summer (the TV wasn’t part of the conversation).

I don’t own a smartphone. Why? Because I’m not trying to keep up with the Joneses and all their smartphones.

My house? As long as the neighbors aren’t calling the cops because the weeds are too high, then I’m good. My neighbor across the street has a professionally-maintained lawn: deep dark green, manicured, absolutely weed free. I’m sure she hates me because I water my own lawn just enough to keep it from dying, and I just try to keep the dandelions from taking over completely. I am not trying to keep up with her.

This is me, most definitely.

I have a few “nice things” but they were purchased because they mean something to me, and none are on public display.

No, because that way madness lies.

We’ve got two young children and our 3 bed semi is small and functional but cheap and paid for. Our peers with small kids have much larger houses and are mortgaged up to the eyeballs and I’m not convinced either they or their kids are any happier than we are. We could upsize any time we want but on top of mortgage payments it’ll cost at least £20,000 that we’ll never see again so sod it.
Those same people with big houses and big car loans are the same ones shitting themselves in case one them loses a job and they can’t cope, they complain that they can’t afford a holiday…If that’s the price to pay for a big house and flash car…no thanks.

Only in August when they’re swimming in their above-ground pool. Then I’m a little envious. Then I stop being envious at the end of September when they have to winterize it and can’t swim again until July.

I do like nice things, but only certain nice things, and only because they do their job better than cheaper equivalents.

Keep up with the Joneses? Hell, I can’t keep up with my wife. :rolleyes:

I’m not sure that what the OP describes is precisely what’s meant by “KUWTJ.” Acquiring bling and flash is, IMHO, a different track from “they got a new car - we get a new car” and so forth. Keeping up, not trying to out-do. The rest of the thread has progressed on the latter idea and no, of course, no one ever tries to outdo neighbors or family members or friends or co-workers by buying something just a little bit better. Pure myth.

But back that “keeping up” bit… I suspect it’s a lot less mythical and a lot closer to universal. Other than quirks and personal taste, just how different is your consumer life from your general peers?

I’ll readily admit to keeping up with the Joneses. I mean, sure, I buy things I like because I like them, but why do you think I like them in the first place? I have two cheap, utilitarian people movers with cloth seats and no options, and goddamn if my next car isn’t going to have heated 8-way power adjustable leather seats. Why? Because I’m sick of climbing into friends’ cars and saying, “Oh shit, these seats are fucking nice.” And then having to get into my own car. If all of my friends had cars with cloth seats and no options, I would never know what I’m missing and wouldn’t feel the urge to “keep up.”

To me, keeping up with the Joneses isn’t about impressing anyone, it’s about constantly being exposed to nice things and then wanting those nice things. My garage is 85 years old and falling apart, and usually it doesn’t bother me that much. But when I go to my neighbor’s house with a brand new garage, a lift, and an enamel floor, yes, yes, I need this. And someday I will have it, even if it’s not a really good use of my money. To impress him? No, that’s ridiculous. But I certainly wouldn’t want it so badly if I didn’t have a gleaming example of its awesomeness so close.

Do I really care about granite countertops and stainless steel appliances? Used to be that I didn’t give two shits, as long as my kitchen was functional. But I have them because every house in my neighborhood has them, and when we remodeled all of the cheaper options just looked, well, cheap. I’m no longer satisfied by white appliances and laminate anything. When it comes to remodeling, I have expensive tastes, but that’s only because I’ve been exposed to these things so frequently.

Stupid Joneses, making me want stuff I never knew I wanted…

In the sense of our neighbors, no. We both drive well-worn Japanese econoboxes and we don’t spend a lot on the outside of the house. In the sense of our friends, also no. We have the smallest house of any of our friends, and we probably wouldn’t get a larger one even if we could easily afford to do so.* I do plan on buying a nicer car when I get out of grad school, but when I say “nicer” I mean a used Subaru WRX, not a Beemer or something. And I don’t want it to impress anyone, just so I can drive faster than I ought to more safely. :slight_smile:

*I grew up in England so every American house feels huge to me. Our house is under 1200 square feet so it’s tiny by Florida standards.

I am very mixed. When I shop I get store-brand groceries and secretly judge people who reach for name-brands when the Great Value is vastly cheaper and just as good, if not better.

However, I love quality purses and shoes and am thrilled to be able to own some unique items that cause a sensation when I wear them. Also I get a distinct buzz when driving a new car, know that I look sharp and possibly throngs of people wish they were me. :wink:

But like most people here (I think) I shop for what makes me happy and live in a house that I can afford and enjoy, not one that I think will impress people. That it might is just a perk. :smiley:

I really appreciate this post. The thread was starting to sound a bit smug and echo-chamberish.

I totally agree that this is a big way that KUWTJ’s is manifest. I think another aspect is not wanting to be left out of the “conversation”, so to speak. If everyone’s constantly talking about a new TV show, you’re going to feel pressure to watch it too, just so that you at least know what they’re talking about. If you aren’t a TV fan, substitute “video game”, “novel”, or whatever else. If everyone in your social circle goes on vacations every year, you will feel pressure to do likewise. If everyone in your social circle has an interesting hobby, has a SO, has children, lives in a certain neighborhood, etc., you will feel pressure to join them. You may accept that these things aren’t for you and still maintain your indviduality. But very few people are willing to be the odd-man out on everything. We gravitate towards the “Jones’” we can keep up with.

So the guy who eschews everything digital and still watches TV on the 13" black and white set he’s had since the 1970s probably isn’t going to be hanging out with the guy with three smart phones and a big-screen HD TV. Why would he be trying to keep up with that guy? No, hes going to be keeping up with the guy who is more like him, the guy who collects rotary phones and doesn’t watch any TV at all.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

I have never bought anything solely for the purpose of impressing other people, and I’m not the type to buy very high end items most of the time. I can’t imagine ever owning a Mercedes or a Rolex.

On the other hand, there are things like my koi pond. I built it primarily because I truly get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. There are few things in life nicer than kicking back with a beer to watch the fish and listen to the waterfall. I’d have built it even if no one else knew about it.

But let’s be honest: I’m one up on the Joneses. I’m even one up on Joneses who already have a koi pond because mine is bigger and better. Everyone I know has heard the story - mostly twice - about how I dug and built it myself, and I make sure to show it off to everyone I can.

I have a feeling that Rolex and Mercedes owners will say the same thing. They’re not trying to impress me, oh no! It’s just a fine piece of craftsmanship that brings them satisfaction every day they use it.

I think that’s called “manufactured need” (I tried to look it up but wasn’t able to find a definition). Once you’ve experienced something newer and better, suddenly your old thing doesn’t quite measure up. My car is the first one I’ve ever had with air conditioning - now I don’t know how I ever lived without it (by opening windows and just enduring the heat). So many things are like that - once you’ve had your eyes opened, it’s hard to go back or deny that the new thing is indeed more luxurious or makes your life easier or it’s just plain nicer.

In a word? Yes.

In many words? Absolutely, and in different ways. If I buy an xbox one because I can’t play online with my friends anymore with the 360, it’s keeping up with the joneses in order to be included. It’s a different dynamic when I’ve been wearing generic loafers my entire life and decide to pick up a pair of Allen Edmonds like my friends because gosh darnit, I’m worth it too. It’s yet another dynamic when I’m rocking a Tag and the new intern shows up with his brand new Submariner and I get wrist envy and head out to buy a rolex for myself.

Depends on which car I’m driving. Today, the Joneses are trying to keep up with me.

Nope.

I’m a musician, and I like sharing my instruments with other musicians, and I enjoy it when I have one that’s admired … just as I enjoy admiring the particularly excellent instruments of others.

I also really enjoy when someone found a bargain cheapie that plays well and sounds beautiful, warts and all.

That’s not a ‘keeping up’ as much as appreciating what’s nice. I was just about the last guy on the planet to get a cell phone (and I didn’t even choose to; my wife just handed it to me one day. “Here. This is yours.” Not that I’m complaining!) I drive a 2000 minivan (my toys fit in it, and it runs great.)

Amen! I remember when home routers were little rectangular boxes, which I could stack with related gear or mount on the inside of a cabinet. Then all the manufacturers had to change to swoopy case designs so the data would look fast! oboy. Grrr. I recently heard they’re going back to rectangular boxes! I’ll believe it when I see it. Unfortunately, I fear the public is too ignorant to see the virtue, and they’ll buy those swoopy looking ones. I do not think the marketing folks are morons (as much as I like to call them that.)

Good point! And yeah, stupid Joneses. But y’know, these heated seats really are nice on a frickin’ cold day. In my 2000 minivan – birth control on wheels!

lol

I don’t do it to keep up with the Joneses, but I will admit that it’s fun to see folks’ reaction to my (extravagant) shoes. I wear khakis and a black or dark blue shirt all the time, so my shoes are my only self-expression. I don’t need them at all but I get them anyway.

The latest

And I do find myself attracted to the Subaru Crosstrek which would fit in nicely with the folks up here. :slight_smile:

Measure you life with Envy?

No thanks.