Do you walk for exercise?

I walk 4 miles a day from December to April. I hate running when it’s cold, snowy and icy, so I bundle up and walk. The rest of the year, I walk pretty much anywhere that’s within a couple of miles, three miles if it’s nice out.

I changed jobs back in October and it’s now more convenient to use the train rather than drive. It’s a mile from home to station, then a half mile at the other end so there’s 3 miles a day. When the weather is good and the Thames is in its banks I do a 3 mile loop at lunchtime along the Thames path and Kennett canal in Reading. Unfortunately, the walk from the station to home passes my local pub so any benefits of the walking is cancelled by 3-4 pints after work.

I walk, swim and elliptical for exercise.

I walk the dog every day and when she was younger we used to take long walks in the park but now she can only handle about a half mile, so we just do that. I drop her off at my parents’ house afterwards and go to the gym to walk on the track.

I listen to a podcast for about 20-30 mins then music for the rest of the hour.

It’s hard to find a time when it’s not freezing, baking or raining here in Cleveland so I just use the track. Also I’d feel super guilty walking outside without my dog.

Eek- I get this. That’s why I have to walk them first. Otherwise they give me the wistful doggy look as I go out the door.

Not only is walking good for you physically, it’s good for you mentally.

Treadmill, inside in the winter.
Outside usually from March - November. We have a great network of bike trails in my area.

I walk for an hour to an hour and a half, briskly. It usually amounts to about 3-4 miles give or take.
I always listen to music. Sometimes just my entire Ipod on shuffle, sometimes I’ll listen to an entire set of a live concert.

It’s a great escape away from my hectic life. It gives me an opportunity to just think, and clear my head.

I try to walk two miles a day but I’ve been slacking. I also march, walking at a military clip and swinging my arms in an exaggerated fashion, rather than walk. I just try to concentrate on my pacing and form mostly. When I get back up to 2 miles, I’ll add in weights for my hand and ankles. I live right near a school with a defined walking path that’s exactly a half a mile around. I also live exactly one mile from the nearest shopping center so sometimes a walk to the store replaces my regular routine.

I agree with The Duke Of Prunes about it being mentally good. I’m always in a good place mentally after a walk.

Walking is for nancy boys :cool:

I don’t walk for exercise, but I do wall to get places. My commute takes me about 3 miles a day of walking.

I just finished walking the Thames Path (198 miles) this fall with a group of mostly expat American and Australian women and we’re now working on the Ridgeway. Next I think will be the South Downs Way. It’s not the only exercise I do but it’s certainly the most enjoyable.

Mostly I walk around the block, or a two-mile path around a nearby lake. As I walk, I try to mentally work out problems in the stories I’m writing. At the lake, I also bird watch.

I love walking, and I walk for exercise on a track in a local park, doing 2 miles about 4 times a week. I used to do a 5 mile walk once per week, but that was pre-parenting. I try to get a 5 mile walk in whenever I can, but I’m lucky if that’s once per month.

I also do a lot of walking for pleasure and getting around, but I really try to focus on the track walking when considering exercise. I have found personally that what seems like minimal stops to me when walking through a neighborhood (waiting to cross a street, slowing down to look at something interesting, slowing down without even realizing it to avoid other pedestrians or navigate something unexpected) really do add up. Keeping up speed at a pace on a track makes the exercise time so much more efficient. I would strongly suggest that anyone interested in walking specifically to lose weight or increase tone should try a track to see if it makes a difference for you as well. (But I still love to explore interesting neighborhoods on foot and continue to do that for fun.)

For footwear, I am a fan of the Vivo Barefoot laced shoe.

I agree with that. I don’t mind walking with street traffic,but it’s easier without a lot of crossings. There’s a large cemetery near me and walking its perimeter is 2 miles, and the lakefront here gives you mile and miles of paths to walk.

Agreed. Humans are built to walk - it’s good for us in so many ways. It’s a great source of exercise that most people can do everywhere, every day. Plus, unlike running, it doesn’t hurt your joints and you can do it every day until you die of old age.

I try to walk most days; for exercise, for fresh air, and for the sunshine (sunshine is good for you - it stimulates your pineal gland and makes you feel good). I require a house that is within walking distance of most things I do regularly - grocery stores, banking, library, etc. Not only do I exercise, but I save gas. :slight_smile:

Well, we can’t all roll everywhere. :smiley:

Yep… Three times a week, on average, three miles on average. Not a hell of a lot, but it seems to keep my fitness up.

San Diego has a fair number of very nice walking trails. I’m fond of Mission Trails, and the Bayside Trail. It’s dry old country, so water is a necessity.

For 40 years I walked four miles to my office four days a week (and took the commuter train home, which added another mile). When I retired, I still tried to walk to my office a couple days a week and walk around my neighborhood another 3 days. Then came the day that I slipped on some black ice and broke my ankle. I am also growing increasingly cold sensitive. I am fortunate to have an enclosed shopping mall just a mile away. So from about mid Nov. to early Apr. I drive to the mall walk for an hour round and round at least 6 days a week. The rest of the year, I walk for an hour, hour and a half maybe, either around the neighborhood or to my office.

When I lift weights I usually walk. Heck, when I “run,” that usually involves run/walk intervals. Most workouts (walking and weights or run/walking) usually take about 45-60 minutes and occur 3-4 times a week. Since it’s winter, I’ve been exercising almost exclusively indoors on our downstairs treadmill and with the free weights. I use my mp3 player when I run inside. I love running and walking outside, though, and when spring comes, I’ll be taking myself outdoors. When I’m outside, I take my phone, but only for emergencies. I don’t listen to music while I’m running - my route is on a fairly busy road and since it’s dark I’d really prefer that I be able to hear what’s going on around me.

My kids aren’t usually in bed until 8:15 or so, so I don’t generally get to work out until around 8:30 or 9. I’d rather be up at 5 or 5:30 a.m., but I have yet to be able to haul myself out of bed that early.

When I was a “real” runner (i.e., still doing races, including 3 marathons I ran without walk breaks), I used to think walking wasn’t exercise. That’s absolutely not true. And the best part of it is that it is sometimes a heck of a lot more fun, so you’re more likely to do it again and again. I don’t care that it doesn’t burn as many calories; I do care that it feels good and makes me more relaxed.

I do a touch under 5km (about 3 miles) to work each morning in around 45 minutes. It’s a start and I use Runkeeper on my phone to keep track of my times & distances.

Bus home due to family stuff in the evenings.

Mine too. When I win Lotto, we can do it together.

I walk in the mornings. It’s too warm and humid in the evening and I can think of a million excuses not to go. I try to get out of the house about half an hour before sunrise (the sun rises about 6 am now). It’s light enough to see but there’s not so much traffic that I’m choking on the fumes. I do try to alter my route, so I don’t get bored, and I often (not always) take my camera with me in case I see something interesting to photograph on the way.

I don’t run, except for the occasional brief sprint but I do try to walk quickly. I don’t like walking with a partner (except for the dreamed of trip to the UK) because other people invariably walk either too quickly or too slowly for my liking.

I wear daggy trackpants and a t shirt but my shoes are good ones (Brooks, I think) because I’m getting old and I want to protect my ankles, knees and hips.

I generally walk for about an hour.

My daily a.m. routine involves walking the dog for about 2 miles. I trained the dog to stay beside me and walk at my fairly rapid pace so her stopping and sniffing is not allowed but she has learned that it’s possible to maintain this pace while occasionally dipping her head down to snatch up a salty snack on the sidewalk (aka, a dead worm).

Walking is almost the only exercise I get. I walk at least 4 or 5 miles at a time, about 5 days a week. I live adjacent to an unposted thousand-acre tract of woodland owned by a lumber company that’s criss-crossed by a lot of old logging roads. Some of them connect to a rail trail that stretches miles in either direction. That’s lucky for me because I dislike walking on roads or sidewalks. Dodging traffic is no fun and walking on asphalt or concrete hurts my feet and makes my shoes wear down too fast.

Usually I just walk for exercise and enjoyment. I think it’s good for both my physical and mental health. I get really antsy if for some reason I have to skip the walk for more than a day or two. It seems to calm me down, and I get some of my best ideas while walking. I don’t need distractions like music. I enjoy the changing scenery, bird songs, fresh air, and sunshine. It sure beats any form of indoor exercise which has always bored me to tears. I’ve spent hundreds on indoor exercise equipment and almost never use any of it. I usually walk at a brisk pace which keeps my heart rate in the aerobic zone most of the time. It helped me lose about 80 pounds between 2007 and 2010. Since then I’ve done pretty well to keep the weight off, but it fluctuates quite a bit (+/- 15 lb. from the 2010 figure).

Occasionally I’ll save some gas and kill two birds by following the rail trail to the next town and doing some errands there. But at 9 miles round-trip it’s a bit far to go very often.

I usually wear Timberland hiking boots. I find they’re a good compromise between affordability, durability, and comfort. The Wal-Mart and K-mart specials are a lot cheaper per pair but they wear out in anything from a few weeks to a couple months. My current pair of Tims has been going for 5 months with very little sign of wear.

I almost never go walking in the rain. Cold, snow, and wind don’t bother me much, though. If it’s colder than -10 Fahrenheit, I’ll wait for it to warm up a little. I wear snowshoes if the snow is deep enough. Once I walk the trail a few times on snowshoes and the snow compacts, it’s usually firm enough that I can switch back to hiking boots. I probably walk more this time of year than I do in summer, because I really can’t tolerate heat and humidity. But this is Maine, so even in July and August there are usually a few early mornings each week when the weather is tolerably cool.

One of my dreams is to hike the Appalachian Trail. That’s a daunting challenge for me right now, but maybe some day.