Doctors of Osteopathy.

Since we moved here to Ohio our family physician has been a DO. Good guy.

I’ve found that he’s a lot less interventionist than my previous doctors are. There’s a lot more talk about what I’m feeling and what that complaint is than with my previous doctors. I sort of enjoy his approach, I admit.

A. R. Cane

Sorry to hear about the cancer. I don’t know enough about the difference between the DO and the MD to say one way or another and I have an unfortunate knee-jerk where I classify doctors into “real doctors” and “others.” The “others” category tends to be quacks. (I’m not accusing DOs of being quacks, I just don’t know about them.)
Having said all of that, try to get a doc that you have faith in and can get along with. My wife and I went through this for 6 years; 4 rounds of chemo, radiation, 4 different surgeries, as well as dealing with all the hospital-acquired infections and drug side-effects and all the rest.
The reason I say get a doc you get along with is that we were fortunate enough to get a group of doctors that were both very professional and we liked. These guys would stop by the house on the way home from work and slap their stethoscopes on my wife and maybe sit down with a glass of homemade wine and discuss her case and things we might look into. The interpersonal relationships were worth more than I can say.

Regards

Testy

The general feeling in the medical community seems to be that D.O. and M.D. training are roughly equivalent these days.

You will find some docs with either degree who claim to be more “holistic” or to “treat the patient, not the disease” but this is more a reflection of marketing than anything else.

I’d love to hear what these “techniques” are.