Documentary Recommendations

Fog of War - Fantastic, just fantastic.
Confessions of a Superhero - Sad but not depressing
Vice Guide to North Korea - the only documentary I’ve ever seen that does a good job of investigating North Korea
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virgina - a bizarre Jerry Springer like train wreck
Paris is Burning - transgender vogueing community in New York in the 80’s, far better than I expected.
Dark Days - people living in a New York subway, how and why.
Gasland
Word Wars

Anti-recommendations you didn’t ask for:
Man on Wire - dull dream and his wife is pathetic
Restrepo - Interesting for it’s transient depiction of American power, but the futility of war doesn’t seem to require a futily recorded haphazard documentary.
Hoop Dreams - really long and I think convinced me of the opposite conclusion the film drew, basketball offers no educational advantage to even those lucky and skilled.

You can watch old episodes of PBS’s *Frontline *on their website. There’s around 130 full episodes there for free.

This one is spectacular:

It’s about garbage pickers in the world’s largest dump in Brazil. One of the most moving films I’ve ever seen. It’s not about their “plight,” but about an art project.

I think I watched it on amazon streaming.

I can heartily second Marwencol. Caught it on PBS one night and really liked it.

Two documentaries about the whys and wherefores of war:

Why We Fight

The Fog of War

Watched it and it was definitely fascinating. I believe it was real, but I do think they recreated some of the early scenes later, which is what they are accused of doing.

Clay, Wood, Fire, Spirit: The Pottery of Richard Bresnahan.

It’s about the building and use of a very large wood-fired kiln in Minnesota. I just like watching people build stuff.

A couple of fun ones: Winnebago Man and Best Worst Movie

Thank you hamwater and StGermain. I finally watched it.

The Kid Stays in the Picture

No, I’m sure Evans knows he’s a dick. But he is such a compelling and charismatic dick that you wind up forgiving him.

*Men of the Tall Ships *- documents the transAtlantic “race” of the tall ships, ending with the 7/4/76 transit of the Hudson River at NYC. (aired most recently yesterday-10/13/12)

Wait a minute! You’re telling me that mankind has finally succeeded in crossing the Hudson River?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seconded on this one. A brilliant engineer who worked with the greats, and also a really sweet guy.

Yes, a thousand times YES. Don’t read anything about it, just go see it. Amazing documentary. Saw it last night and loved it.

What ecoaster said. These three films have topics that, just reading about them, you wouldn’t necessarily thing “I gotta see that”, but they are all great stories, well told, as entertaining as any Hollywood movie.

One of my all-time favorite documentaries.

I watched Resurrect Dead: The Mystery of The Toynbee Tiles the other night.

I first read about Toynbee Tiles several years ago, but if you don’t know what they are here’s the wiki page.

Warning: the Wikipedia page has information about the documentary so skip that section if you want to watch it and avoid spoilers.
I thought the documentary was pretty well done and definitely worth watching. The ending may not be 100% satisfying, but I would still recommend it.

The greatest crime documentary ever (it’s taught in film schools).

The Thin Blue Line by Errol Morris.

It successfully freed a man wrongly accused of murdering a police officer. A gripping piece of film from start to finish.

The Saint of 9/11.

Harrowing story about Gaza.

Finding life beyond earth.

The Jonestown Massacre.

Encounters at the end of the world.

In five parts, still available on YouTube: The Incredible Human Journey