Does a Philly Cheesesteak need Cheez-Whiz?

You don’t like the Anchor Bar? I think the wings there are pretty damn good, to be honest.

-XT

I am very strongly anti-Whiz except “ironically.” And also: Steak-umms with gouda on a hot dog roll can be goddamn delicious, if you use the right kind of hot dog roll, lightly toasted, with just a smudge of butter and caramelized onions. But then again, I am very pro-gouda in any application.

No to both.

Cheez Whiz is something I would never put into my mouth ever again; when I saw it was in Philly cheesesteaks, I swore off them.

I prefer them without cheese, though mozzarella is good in a pinch. If someone gave them Swiss, Emmentaler, or camembert, I’d give that a shot.

I find doubt.

Starting in the 1980s, the Philly Cheesesteak was introduced around the country through chains and a few individual shops. Until then, the cheesesteak was virtually unknown outside of the Philadelphia area by that name, although similar sandwiches were served in local variations.
I only lived around Philadelphia for about 10 years, but I ate as many cheesesteaks as I could, sampling varieties throughout the the area. West of Exton, Steakum type meat was more prevalent. Northward towards the ABE area the quality of the meat was better than in the Philadelphia area. Soft rolls were the norm, and the greatest disappointment was getting one on a hard roll. Onions were standard, and if you didn’t want them, you had to say so. Provolone was predominant, but other choices were available. Pizza steaks, with sauce and mozzarella were common, along with optional mushrooms (sometimes marinated mushrooms in South Philly), hot and/or sweet peppers, and any variations the specific shop wanted to offer.
Although I had heard rumors of the dreaded Whiz, I never actually encountered it until several years later in a shop in New York. In the early 90s I went to a shop in Cherry Hill where the locals, aware of my background, warned me not to order the standard Philly Cheesesteak because of the <gawlix> that would be deposited on it.
I do not recall if I have been sampled the product from Pat’s or Geno’s, but the very best cheesesteaks came from a place called the White House, somewhere around Rittenhouse Square. I still go to a shop called Real Pizza in Wayne when on my visits to that area. The quality is not what it used to be when they opened around 1972, but their product far surpasses anything advertised as a Philly Cheesesteak outside of the area, and in many cases within.

I’m with Pat. I know some people find it gross but it’s just good. In a Chris Farley-ish way, a cheesesteak with both provolone and Whiz is delicious. And potentially artery-cloggingly deadly.

(Plus, the owner of Geno’s a douchebag–even if he made the best, I’d never be “with” Geno.)

Pat is the undisputed originator of the Philly steak sandwich. If you go up to the window at Pat’s and order a cheese steak you get Cheez Whiz.

Yes, you can specify other kinds of cheese, but the Cheez Whiz “defines” the Philly cheese steak; it is the default.

There is a special place in Hell reserved for Pat.

I’m not really a cheese steak connoisseur, so I don’t feel qualified to vote. They all taste good to me!

I feel this is the appropriate thread for breaking the sad news that the San Jose’s King of Cheese Steaks passed away last week. Jonne Aleeson, the owner of Calvin’s World Famous South Philly Cheesesteaks opened his first place back in 1981. He was kind of a “Cheese Steak Nazi”, often chiding customers for not ordering their sandwiches correctly. I can’t say he had the best sandwiches in town, but he’ll definitely be missed.

Standard format for an order at Pat’s is <type of cheese> <with or without onions>. So, for instance, you might order “American with” or “Whiz without”. This format is clearly posted on a sign there, and if you don’t have your order ready when you get to the window, you’re sent to the end of the line so the next person can order. So I wouldn’t really say there’s any default.

And as I said, the sliced cheeses (American or Provolone) are much more common than the whiz, anyway. There are plenty of places that sell cheesesteaks that don’t even have whiz available.

You have to be kidding me. Cheez Whiz isn’t something you eat, it’s something you go see a urologist for.

Like I said, you can order different types of cheese at Pat’s … but if you just say “Cheese wit.” you get Cheez Whiz wit onions; Whiz is the default cheese.

The Italian food place right down the street from has two listings on the menu: Cheese Steak and Philly Cheese Steak. The Philly has Cheez Whiz; that is what makes it a Philly Cheese Steak … anything else is just a sandwich. :wink:

I think people are just grossed out by the thought or concept of Cheez Whiz…sort of like the automatic reaction to Spam. :stuck_out_tongue: In fact, a Philly is damn good with the Whiz (I get mine without onions), though, as I said earlier, I also like them with other cheeses as well (though then they aren’t really a Philly).

ETA: And there is nothing wrong with ‘Steakums with gouda on a hot dog roll’…though I like the Sam’s Club type better, personally. And I’m partial to mild cheddar…

-XT

Another Philly native here, though I moved away in the mid 70s. Back in the day I ate boatloads of yummy cheesesteaks and I don’t remember any place ever using or even offering Cheez Whiz (ew). Can’t be the original recipe.

My girlfriend in college took me to D’Allesandros the first time I visited her parents house, her whole family seemed to take the place VERY seriously. I have to admit they’re probably the best I’ve ever had. The guy behind us got a meatball sub (hoagie, whatever) and actually complained in the shop that it sucked. The person behind the counter basically said “Why the hell didn’t you get a cheese steak?”

Oh, I prefer provolone. And if I’m making (or eating) at home, a drizzle of honey down the middle is awesome.

I lived in the Philly area for 7 years before I got around to trying a Pat’s steak, and I remember being surprised at the whiz. It’s certainly not the default option anywhere else round here I ever had a steak (which are often advertised as ‘Philly’, w/o whiz). Whiz steaks are good, but I prefer Provolone.

i like them with american cheese, tried cheez whiz a couple times and it wasn’t anything special

Cheese Wizz tastes like vomit to me. Provolone is nice. Not wild about American cheese on anything, either, and somewhat embarrassed that our country is named after one of the most boring cheeses ever.

There’s a White House Sub shop in Atlantic City that makes The Best Cheese Steak I’ve ever had. Also make an awesome meatball parm. If it’s affiliated with the Rittenhouse Square one mentioned here, I believe the AC one is the original–it seems like it’s been ther since earlier than 1972.

There’s a White House Sub shop in Atlantic City that makes The Best Cheese Steak I’ve ever had. Also make an awesome meatball parm. If it’s affiliated with the Rittenhouse Square one mentioned here, I believe the AC one is the original–it seems like it’s been ther since earlier than 1972.
[/QUOTE]

I should’ve mentioned they use Provolone, which I consider the best cheese for a CheeseSteak. I am surprised to find out that Pat’s uses cheez whiz. I’ve always wanted to have one at Pat’s and one at Geno’s, but never realized either place had used Cheez whiz!