Does anyone have any experience with microsuction for earwax removal?

I’ve been prone to wax over-production since I was a little kid and I’ll second everything Athena said. I use the exact same method and it works like a charm. Mind you, I sometimes have to repeat the process 2 or 3 times if the wax is really impacted and be patient while that hydrogen peroxide sizzles away. But eventually it + the water rinse does the job on even the most stubborn plugs.

This, exactly. My ex-wife was an audiologist, and could look after my ears pretty well; but sometimes, the earwax that I could produce was beyond her capabilities. At such times, she would arrange an appointment with an ENT colleague, who would suction my ears.

In my experience, suctioning works well, but it seems to me that it is definitely something to be done by a physician.

I used this flusher kit on my daughter several times and it worked great. With warm water, make a weak solution of hydrogen peroxide, stick the tube in the ear, and start squeezing the trigger repeatedly (it’s not a strong stream of water). In a minute or so, you’ll see a bunch of globs flush out.

Urea (mentioned in my post above) is produced by your liver and is present in your urine. So you know, just piss in your own ear. :smiley:
No, don’t put urine in your ear. This was a joke.

I’ve used that as well. After paying a couple of $25 copays to have it done at the doctor’s office (one time with a syringe, once with a device like a water pik) I thought I’d give it a shot. Works pretty well, but it’s kind of awkward doing it by yourself.

You Tube has a gazillion videos of doctors using microsuction to remove ear wax. To me, it’s shocking how much some people produce, but I understand that people of south Asian descent have a tendency to make large, difficult-to-remove amounts of it.

A man I dated many years ago had to do that syringe thing on his ear wax, and referred to it as an “audio enema.” :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah, he had a point.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses. I’m a bit wary of any DIY option, because I tried one of those home syringing kits a while ago, and made things worse (I suspect my globs of wax we’re just too impacted for it). I appreciate the suggestions for that, but I’m pretty settled on getting an expert to do it.

Nothing I’ve heard here has put me off microsuction, so that’s the route I think I’ll take.

I tried the bulb things a few years back and didn’t have much success with them. It actually made things worse.

So I go twice a year to the nurse at the ear, nose, and throat doctor have them do it.

It’s only a fifty dollar copay each time and well worth the money to me.

Besides, they said my right ear canal is shaped weirdly, and that’s why those kits were making that side worse.

I have a buildup problem and get microsuctioned 3x a year. Works great. The first time I had it done it was like someone turned the treble up from 1 to 9.

mea culpa, I could have sworn he’d actually said microsuction.